Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> The help books info elf

The help books info elf

Jan/Sun/2018 | Uncategorized

Learning to Be a Good Friend: A Guidebook for Kids (Elf-Help Books

The help books info elf

Essay Writing Service -
Full Elf-Help Book Series by Cherry Hartman & R W Alley - Thrift Books

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, best custom academic essay writing help & writing services uk online -
ELF-HELP books: Welcome

SAT / ACT Prep Online Guides and Tips. The dreaded DBQ, or “document-based question,” is an essay question type on The help, the AP History exams (AP US History, AP European History, and AP World History). For the DBQ essay, you will be asked to analyze some historical issue or trend with the aid of the provided sources, or documents, as evidence. The DBQ is an unfamiliar type of in-class essay for many students, but it does not need to be a source of dread or panic. In this guide I'll go over the DBQ's purpose and Poem analysis duchess, format, what the documents are and The help books elf, how to use them, how this type of essay is Companies term, scored, and how to prepare. The Help Books! I'll tell you everything you need to rock this unique type of essay!

Note: The rubric, guidelines, and Poem analysis, skills tested for all of the History APs are identical; only the historical source material is different. As a veteran of the DBQ, I'm here to answer all your questions. Why do the AP History exams even have a document-based question? What will it look like on the exam? What are these documents, anyways? Let's dive right in. This baby is too young to be diving into The help info elf, the DBQ! The point of the Critically thinking includes your document-based question is not to torment you but actually to put you in the historian’s shoes as an interpreter of historical material. Cool, right?

The DBQ is testing your ability to: create a strong thesis and support that thesis with the aid of the documents provided analyze sources for characteristics such as author’s point of view, the author's purpose, the audience, and context make connections between the documents bring in outside knowledge to strengthen the argument. This may sound like a tall order, but you probably already use all these skills all the time. Suppose your friend asks for your help in The help books info elf, deciding whether to buy a particular new brand of soccer ball. You have used the soccer ball, so you have personal knowledge about it, but he doesn’t just want your opinion—he wants evidence! (Your friend takes buying soccer balls very seriously). So first, you collect information (your “documents”). These could include: online reviews of the soccer ball your brother’s opinion the price at Critically thinking the store the The help books info elf cost of other soccer balls ads for the soccer ball. Next, you'll analyze these documents to uc essay vacation make a decision about whether the ball is a good purchase for your friend or not. For that, you might: Assess bias (also known as the The help books info elf author’s point of view): Maybe the soccer ball ad isn’t the most objective measure of the ball’s quality. Maybe your brother hates soccer.

Consider the author’s audience: Maybe that review of the Pre algebra soccer ball was written for professional soccer players, and you want to know how it is for casual players! Think about the context of books, your friend's decision: What time of year is it? If it’s right around Christmas, maybe your friend’s mom will get it for him as a present. Harvard Editing! What you already know about soccer is The help, part of the context as well--you know your friend won’t want a ball that’s too bouncy, for example. Buying the right soccer ball might have higher stakes than the Poem analysis last AP exam. Elf! If you were going to go back and write an essay for your friend about this after you've reviewed your documents, your thesis might be something like one of uc essay vacation, these examples: “This soccer ball is books elf, a good purchase for my friend because it has all the Harvard essay editing elements of a good soccer ball at a great price point.” “This soccer is The help, not a good purchase for my friend right now because even though it looks amazing, I know my friend’s birthday is in a week and his sister might buy it for him.” Then you would use the “documents” and your outside knowledge (for example, your experience with the Best uc essay vacation soccer ball and your knowledge about soccer) to The help elf support that claim. That's a document-based question! In fact, I would assert that the DBQ is the easiest essay to score highly on in the AP History exams. As overwhelming as it might be now to think about all of write a argumentative paper, that information getting thrown at you at info elf once, think of it this way: Instead of relying primarily on your knowledge, the DBQ gives you a bunch of sources to use in your analysis.

This means you don’t have to be worried you’ll waste five minutes racking your brain trying to remember the name of that guy who did that thing. It’s important to write a argumentative paper bring in some outside information for The help books elf, a top score, but the main thing you need to do is analyze . 95% of the info you really need is there. Editing! You just have to The help books learn how to use it. Homework! Let's move on to test formatting so you know what to expect from document-based questions. What Does the DBQ Format Look Like? Each of the AP history tests has one DBQ, and books info elf, it is Best uc essay vacation, always the first question in The help elf, the test booklet for the writing section (Part II of the exam). When you open your booklet and turn to the DBQ, you will see the instructions, the prompt, and then the documents. You will have a 15-minute reading period, with a recommended 40 minutes of writing time. The test has two essays, and you will have 90 minutes total to plan and Best uc essay, write them. You won't be forced to move on from one essay to the other, so be sure to budget your time carefully.

You are not required to use the entire reading/planning period. You can begin writing whenever you wish. However, be sure you plan carefully because the writing will go much faster if you have a good outline. That covers the general format, but no doubt you want to hear more about these mysterious documents. Stay tuned! What's the books info elf Deal With These Documents? You will receive up to seven sources. These could be primary or secondary, and they could take almost any form: l etters, newspaper articles, maps, pictures, cartoons, charts, and so on. You will need to uc essay use all or all but one of the documents in your essay. You should go further in-depth on at least four of the documents. (See the rubric breakdown section below for books info elf, more details). For US History, no DBQ will focus exclusively on How to write a argumentative paper, the time period prior to 1607 or after 1980, although they may focus on a broader time period that includes one of those time periods.

Don't worry, they won't be original copies. Now that we've discussed the purpose, format, and document protocol of the The help books info elf DBQ, we need to discuss scoring. How much is the DBQ worth on your exam? And how do those pesky AP graders even score it? How Much Is the Critically thinking includes Document-Based Question Worth? The DBQ is 25% of your total grade. The entire second section of elf, exam is essay, 50% of your grade, and there are two equally weighted essays. The rubric the graders use is freely available to you on the College Board website. Don't worry if these look like gibberish to you. I'll break it down briefly here, and books info elf, go even more in-depth on my article about how to prepare for and write a DBQ.

There are four categories in this rubric: thesis, analysis of the document, using outside evidence, and synthesis. You can score up to seven points. One point for homework help, having a clear, historically plausible thesis that is located in the introduction or conclusion. You can get another point here for having a particularly good thesis that presents a nuanced relationship between historical factors, and doing a good job supporting that thesis in your essay. One point for using 6-7 of the documents in info elf, your essay. Homework Help! Easy-peasy. One point for doing further analysis on info, four of the documents. This further analysis could be on any of the following points: author’s point of Companies who do papers do, view author’s purpose historical context audience. Just be sure to The help books elf tie any further analysis back to your main argument!

One point is in writing includes, just for context - if you can locate the issue within its broader historical situation. You do need to write several sentences about it but the contextual information can be very general. One point is for being able to The help elf name an editing, additional specific example relevant to your argument that is not mentioned in the documents. Don't stress if you freeze up and The help info elf, can't remember one on test day. This is only one point and it will not prevent you from getting a 5 on the exam.

All you need to do for synthesis is relate your argument about this specific time period to a different time period, geographical area, historical movement, etc. It is How to a argumentative paper, probably easiest to do this in the conclusion of the essay. Still with me? Just remember: the most important thing is having a strong thesis that is supported by the information in The help books info elf, the documents and whatever other related information you have around in your brain. If you are an Pre algebra homework help, auditory learner, I recommend the following video, which breaks down all the components you need to get a seven . The Help Books Info! If this seems like a lot to take in, don't worry. You don’t have to get a perfect score on the DBQ to get a five on the AP. Somewhere in the 5-6 range can definitely get you there. To get a 3 on the exam (which still gives you course credit at homework a lot of colleges), you only The help info elf need a 3 on the DBQ. (See page eight of this document.) Additionally, overall historical accuracy is How to write a argumentative, important but not 100% necessary for every tiny detail of the essay.

Anything that is in the documents should be correct, but when you start to bring in outside sources for The help, your DBQ essay on unionization and working conditions and you can’t remember if the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire was in 1911 or 1912, just pick one and homework, don’t sweat it. If minor details are incorrect and don’t detract from the overall meaning of the essay, you won’t lose points. Now that you understand the purpose, format, and rubric for document-based questions, I'll give you some tips on how to get the The help books elf score you're aiming for. Critically Thinking In Writing! Two things will help you crush the DBQ: prepping beforehand, and hitting all the right notes on test day! Rock the DBQ like Jimi rocked the 1960s. Try out the practice DBQs available online at elf the College Board website: look here for AP US History (and here for a complete APUSH practice test), here for AP European History, and here for AP World History. Poem Last Duchess! You don’t necessarily have to write an entire essay every time you practice—it’s also helpful to read the question and texts and The help books, then create outlines with a thesis. Ask a trusted teacher or advisor to look over your practice drafts and/or outlines with the rubric and advise what you might be missing. Make sure you know general historical trends/periods so you can get that point for context. You can find more prep tips in my article on uc essay vacation, how to write a DBQ. Read the The help info question carefully . Make sure you know what is being asked before you start trying to answer.

While you read the documents, take notes on what they mean, who is writing, etc. Come up with your thesis before you start writing, or your essay will be a sad, directionless mess, like a boat with no rudder, lost at sea forever. If you aren’t sure of your thesis yet, brainstorm in your notes — not while you are writing. Once you have a thesis, stay on topic. If you’re writing about how Smaug wrecked the Forbidden Mountain, don’t start talking about how amazing and clever Bilbo is, even if it’s true. Make sure you use all the documents —doing so gets you easy points. Harvard Essay Editing! However, don’t simply regurgitate sources with no analysis. If you find yourself doing a lot of “Source A says blah, and info elf, Source B says blah, and Source C says blah. ” make sure you are using the documents to make a point , and not letting the documents use you. A great way to Critically your analyze the documents is to make connections between them!

Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why? Don’t forget to provide context, one outside example, and a connection to books info another period/area/historical theme if you can! That’s three points right there. Homework! And there you have it! You are ready to start prepping for success. Abraham Lincoln believes in you! I know I just threw a lot of information at books info elf you. So here are some key takeaway points: The document-based question is a way for the AP to test your skills as a historian!

Don’t panic! It doesn’t have to be overwhelming, even though you are getting tons of information thrown at you in a short time. The DBQ is based on skills that you can learn and practice : writing a strong thesis, using given evidence to support an argument, making connections between different documents and pieces of evidence, placing specific information in a broader context, analyzing an author’s intent, bias, audience, etc. Need more study resources for essay, AP World History ? See our Best AP World History Study Guide or get more practice tests from The help books info our complete list. Need more resources for AP US History ? Try this article on the best notes to use for Pre algebra homework, studying from The help books info elf one of our experts. Also check out Best vacation, her review of the best AP US History textbooks! Or just looking for general information about your upcoming APs ? See here for instructions on how to register for AP exams, complete 2016 test dates, and information on The help elf, how much AP tests cost (and how to get AP financial aid). Thinking Includes! Want to improve your SAT score by 160 points or your ACT score by 4 points? We've written a guide for each test about the top 5 strategies you must be using to have a shot at improving your score.

Download it for The help, free now: Have friends who also need help with test prep? Share this article! Ellen has extensive education mentorship experience and is deeply committed to Poem last helping students succeed in all areas of life. She received a BA from Harvard in The help info elf, Folklore and Poem duchess, Mythology and is currently pursuing graduate studies at Columbia University. You should definitely follow us on The help info, social media. You'll get updates on our latest articles right on your feed. Vacation! Follow us on all 3 of our social networks: Have any questions about this article or other topics?

Ask below and we'll reply! Series: How to Get 800 on Each SAT Section: Series: How to Get to 600 on Each SAT Section: Series: How to Get 36 on Each ACT Section: Our hand-selected experts help you in a variety of elf, other topics! Looking for Graduate School Test Prep? Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: Get the latest articles and test prep tips! © PrepScholar 2013-2015.

All rights reserved. SAT® is a registered trademark of the College Entrance Examination Board TM . The College Entrance Examination. Board TM does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this site.

Buy Essay Papers Here -
Full Elf-Help Book Series by Cherry Hartman & R W Alley - Thrift Books

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, write my essay online for cheap -

My Ed.D. thesis proposal: What does it mean to be ‘digitally literate’? I submitted the second version of my Ed.D. thesis proposal a while back now. I had to re-submit as I failed the first submission. This was a bit of a shock to the system, never having failed anything academically before. It was actually partly my supervisor’s fault – who has now left the University of Durham and The help books info elf doesn’t have a doctorate himself… :p. I was advised to wait until I had the marks back for the thesis proposal before posting it on my blog.

Upon reflection, I could see this was a sensible thing to do, so now I’ve heard back and I’ve passed I’m going to post it in its entirity. I received 63% for the following, which isn’t disastrous but less than I would have hoped for. Because it’s my second submission, however, the mark that’s recorded is 50%. At the end of the day, I’m not overly concerned: my Ed.D. overall is pass/fail… #128578; The comments on the following were: This is a solid proposal which provides a detailed reflection of the Best uc essay relevant literature in info elf, which the proposed study is to essay editing, be grounded.

Although covered in less detail than the literature section, the proposal provides an appropriate methodological base for the research. The proposal suggests a cross-cultural component and it is important in this context that similarities as well as ‘discrepancies’ are identified and that the study does not become unmanageable. In general this is a good solid proposal. The proposal itself follows after the ‘tag’ cloud that is indicative of its contents (courtesy of info TweetClouds) What does it mean to be ‘educated’ and ‘digitally literate’? The impact of ICT and the knowledge society upon education in Harvard, the 21st century. Society is changing at an unprecedented rate. The nature of the family, how we connect with other people, the ways in The help books elf, which our leaders are held accountable, and the extent to which the media controls our lives are fundamentally different even from 25 years ago. Members of Best every culture and society have the world of everyday experience mediated by info elf, technologies, traditions and cultural norms or expectations. (Petrina, 2007:168; Achterhuis, 2001:71) The technologies which mediate life in the 21st century in homework help, first-world nations are powerful communicative devices and are developing at an incredibly fast pace. This means that the way in which the world is understood and presented to individuals can be somewhat incoherent and books info elf is certainly very different from Companies term papers do that of previous generations. In turn, unless they are willing to change to adapt to the needs and future requirements of learners, schools are in danger of becoming, ‘even more quaint and shaky against the backdrop of technology.’ (Smith Curtin, 1998:227)

Schools are the link between generations: they bridge the gap between the knowledge and skills of the previous generation and books that of the next generation. One of the roles of educational institutions is to ensure that young people have the knowledge and skills for the world of work. Uc Essay Vacation. But education is not simply about preparing young people for their working life, as evidenced by recent ‘personalising learning’ initiatives that have emerged across the western educational landscape. There remains something more holistic about the elf education system that aims at producing ‘educated’, ‘literate’ citizens. As we discover more about how the Best uc essay brain works and about how students learn best, so what we mean by an ‘educated’ person changes. Technology also has a role to play in this, as for some educational thinkers it to a great extent redefines what it means to be ‘literate’. Schools, therefore, are increasingly investing in and exploring educational technology in an attempt to ensure that they remain relevant to the world outside the school gates. Whilst there is a top-down drive to adopt such technologies, however, their pedagogical use is still being worked out at info a grass-roots level.

With society in a state of flux and of radical transformation schools need to find a way of bridging the gap between their traditional role and the technologically-mediated world in which their pupils now inhabit. It is an open problem about which Jacques Delors (Delors, 1996a:172), president of UNESCO wrote in 1996: …there is a decisive issue at stake here, and it is important that schools and help universities should have a central place in a profound change that is books info, affecting the whole of society. There is no doubt but that individuals’ ability to access and process information is set to become the determining factor in their integration not onlyinto the working environment but also into their social and cultural environment. The concept that shall be discussed in what follows as ‘digital literacy’, therefore, would seem to be a key one for schools and individuals who want to play an active role in the ‘knowledge society’. There is a tension at the heart of thinking includes school life between preparing students for an uncertain future whilst continuing traditional notions of what constitutes a school. The Help Books Info. Successfully resolving this tension should result in educational institutions producing ‘educated’ young people who are ‘literate’ within the domains they shall operate, both now and in the future. However, due to How to, the scale of books elf social change witnessed over the last 25 years, coupled with the almost exponential rate of help technological development and uptake, resolution of this tension is becoming increasingly difficult for The help, schools. What does an ‘educated’ person look like in the 21st century? Are traditional literacy skills enough? Although some work has been done in attempting to make a traditional curriculum more flexible, coherent and relevant, few explicit identifications of what constitutes a literate, educated person in the 21st century have been made (McCain, 2005:49). Having a clear focus as to what it means to have the requisite tools for life in Poem duchess, the 21st century – to be ‘digitally literate’ – would enable schools to synthesise the traditional and the new more effectively.

Whilst definitions are both historically and culturally situated (Barton Hamilton, 2000:8), it should be possible to identify common usage, at least implicitly, of what educators and policy makers mean when they talk about being ‘educated’ – and therefore ‘literate’ in a 21st century sense. In contrast to the view satirised by Charles Dickens’ character of Gradgrind in Hard Times (‘Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts’), to be ‘educated’ in info, the 21st century is a more slippery idea to pin down. Analysis Last Duchess. There is little agreement as to what the purpose of education is in the 21st century. Some thinkers on The help books info elf the topic are instrumentalists, seeing education as a means to a (usually vocational) end, whereas others stress the importance of the process. Likewise, as has been argued extensively, (Barton Hamilton, 2000:11-12; Muller, 2000:56; Delors, 1996b:85) ‘literacy’ ranges across domains and Pre algebra homework applies to much more than reading and The help books pencil-and-paper writing. Agreement upon what it means to be a ‘literate’ person, therefore, is also difficult to find.

To have some clarity as to what it means to be ‘digitally literate’ will help move on the debates taking place at all levels in the western education system. Instead of these conceptions being an updated version of homework help what was learned at school by the previous generation, there needs to be a thorough review of the needs of both students and the workplace. An active examination of the possibilities offered by new (educational) technologies should inform this review in order for it to be as forward-looking as possible. The views of stakeholders and interested parties need to be analysed and compared in The help, order to discover motivations, potential conflicts and areas of agreement. Once these notions of what it means to be ‘literate’ in Companies who do term papers do, the 21st century have been resolved then the way forward for education to move towards new pedagogies and ways of working should become clear. At present, however, the lack of clarity as to info, what it means to be ‘digitally literate’ means that teachers are subjected constantly to new proposals and reforms that aim to Harvard essay, resolve the books elf tension between the old and the new. Without an idea of the purpose of education, it would seem that these efforts are ultimately doomed to fail. To explore claims that traditional notions of literacy are not sufficient for analysis essay last, 21st century education. To analyse policy documents from government down to school level in The help elf, order to discover the level of coherence in Best uc essay, evidence. To highlight discrepancies between pedagogy and practice regarding educational technology in The help books info elf, schools. To survey briefly the How to write a argumentative situation in other countries regarding digital literacy skills.

To come up with workable, 21st-century definitions of what it means to be ‘digitally literate’ (i.e. literate in the 21st century) Despite Tony Blair’s famous commitment to ‘education, education, education’, the Labour government in the United Kingdom is The help books info elf, notoriously cagey when it comes to defining and in writing setting out the purpose(s) of education and schooling. Implicit in many of the pronouncements made and reforms undertaken is a focus upon the financial well-being of the individual, and therefore the nation. Achieving ‘economic well-being’ is even enshrined in the compulsory Every Child Matters agenda to be implemented by schools (HMSO, 2003). Leaving aside the use of education as a vehicle to books elf, economic prosperity, however, at least one of the purposes of do schooling must be to produce ‘educated’ young people. What is meant by an ‘educated’ person in the 21st century, however, is books elf, difficult to define. In the How to paper past this was much more straightforward, defined by the educational elite. Today, however, even leading educational thinkers such as David Carr (2003:11-12) have difficulty in pinning down a notion of what it now means to info elf, be ‘educated’:

The best we can so far say is How to paper, that to The help books info, be educated is to come to appreciate or value for their own sake the non-instrumental or teleological (intrinsically valuable) features of those forms of knowledge, understanding and skill for which a reasonable educational case has or can be made. Just to have studied or have some knowledge or skill, however, does not make one educated. One must be able to communicate one’s learning in a meaningful way and put it into practice. Carr argues that the notions of ‘education’ and ‘schooling’ need to be untangled (Carr, 2003:15,134), much in the same way that clarification needs to be sought over Harvard editing, the difference between being ‘educated’ and The help books info being ‘literate’. With the multiplicity of ways in which knowledge can be communicated in the 21st century comes new literacies to be able to transmit and receive knowledge in these new ways. It has been fashionable of late to ascribe to ‘literacy’ those characteristics that would have traditionally gone under the guise of being ‘educated’. (Delors, 1996a:174; Snyder, 2002:181; Rodriguez Illera, 2004:49-50) Literacy, with the emergence of new domains of application such as ‘computer literacy’ and Companies term do ‘visual literacy’, has enjoyed an elevation in status. From being seen originally as being able to elf, read and write or as a means to vacation, gaining an education, it is now widely regarded as an end in itself. An understanding of what it means to be ‘literate’ in the 21st century should lead to a greater understanding of The help elf what it means to be ‘educated’, if indeed the latter is something over and above the former. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the adjective ‘literate’ means, ‘acquainted with letters or literature; educated, instructed, learned.’ To many educational thinkers, however, this is an outdated definition. In 1958 UNESCO defined literacy as ‘the ability of an individual to read and write with understanding a simple short statement related to his/her everyday life.’ The difficulty with both these definitions is that they categorise people as either literate or illiterate allowing for no shades of grey. Literacy is defined on a ‘macro’, global level without an understanding of How to write a argumentative paper literacy within a given domain or for a specific purpose.

There is no scope with these definitions to be able to describe an individual as literate when it comes to pencil-and-paper-based reading and books elf writing, but almost ‘illiterate’ when dealing within a domain mediated by technology. Understood broadly, literacy can be an Companies who do, elusive human construct: it means different things and involves different skills depending upon the culture and time period within which an individual operates. Whilst in the western world ‘literacy’ has traditionally meant the ability to read and write with pencil and paper, this makes a nonsense of societies with oral traditions and books info elf records. Postmodern educational thinkers have therefore attempted to deconstruct ‘literacy’, understanding it to consist in many different ‘literacies’. The main stimulus to this, as Kellner (2002:163) attests, is the widening use of Companies term papers do technology in society: As technological convergence develops apace, individuals need to combine the info skills of critical media literacy with traditional print literacy and new forms of multiple literacies to access and navigate the new multimedia environments. This depends on an enlarged view of literacy, one that goes beyond the mere functional skills set out in UNESCO’s 1958 definition. Literacy becomes ‘gaining the skills and knowledge to read and interpret the text of the world and to successfully navigate and negotiate its challenges, conflicts, and essay crises,’ (Kellner, 2002:157) ‘the application of… knowledge for specific purposes in specific contexts,’ (Scribner Cole, 1981 – quoted in Rodriguez Illera, 2004:51), a ‘set of social practices’ that are ‘historically situated’ (Barton Hamilton, 2000:8,13). Literacy in the postmodern view is info elf, a fragmented notion: contextually dependent and culturally constructed. New literacies are being formed all the time (Reilly, 1996:218).

This has led to the compartmentalisation of different forms of literacy such as ‘computer literacy’, ‘visual literacy’, and ‘critical media literacy’ which served to write, demonstrate how, for example, an extremely literate person on the traditional view could be ‘illiterate’ when it comes to communicating with the aid of technology. Whilst the postmodern deconstruction of literacy has been useful for purposes of clarification, something about the original holistic meaning of The help books ‘literacy’ has been lost. Literacy is reduced to a science, as training within a given domain. There remains something of Poem essay duchess a binary distinction between those who are literate within a domain and those who are not. UNESCO’s most recent definition in its 2004 position paper (UNESCO, 2004:13) recognises and addresses the limitations of both its own 1958 position and that of postmodern thinkers: Literacy is the ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate and books elf compute, using printed and written materials associated with varying contexts. Literacy involves a continuum of learning in enabling individuals to achieve their goals, to develop their knowledge and potential, and to participate fully in their community and wider society. This definition is an help, Hegelian-type synthesis of the books elf original, 1950s holistic definitions of literacy, and its more fragmented definition under postmodernism.

Literacy is analysis duchess, a process, not a state (Rodriguez Illera, 2004) and as such underpins abilities within a given domain. It is info, better, therefore, to thinking in writing, talk of someone having or lacking literacy skills within the The help info elf domain of thinking in writing includes your digital technologies, rather than ascribing to them a state of being ‘digitally literate’ or ‘digitally illiterate’. Shades of grey within each domain are recognised which build towards an overarching global ‘literacy’. As evidenced above, recent definitions of what it means to be ‘educated’ by those in control of elf education in the UK are hard to come by. Elsewhere in the western world they are more forthcoming, however.

A representative statement is enshrined, for Critically includes, example, in the definitions set down by Michigan State University as part of The help its VISION 2004 reorganisation: An educated person is someone who has learned how to acquire, analyze, synthesize, evaluate, understand, and Best communicate knowledge and information. An educated person has to develop skills that respond to changing professional requirements and new challenges in society and The help elf the world at large. He or she must be able to take skills previously gained from serious study of one set of problems and apply them to another. He or she must be able to locate, understand, interpret, evaluate, and use information in an appropriate way and ultimately communicate his or her synthesis and Poem analysis essay last understanding of The help info that information in a clear and accurate manner. That is to say that being an ‘educated’ person involves taking skills and knowledge from essay one domain and applying them to The help books info elf, another, as well as making links between areas of knowledge and keeping up to date with developments within one’s field and those which affect it. This definition appears to have more in common with traditional conceptions of wisdom than it does with those of literacy (Town, 2003:54). Put simply, becoming literate can be thought of as acquiring the skills to be able to participate in the discourse of a particular domain, whereas becoming educated is to term do, be able to info, range across domains and synthesise the knowledge that has been gained. The domains of knowledge within educational schools have traditionally been subject-based. Teachers are teachers of one or more specific subjects and the knowledge, if not the skills, learned are particular to that domain. Essay Editing. However, as Muller (2000:2) states, knowledge is intrinsically social – which means that the boundaries and constituent elements of info elf domains of knowledge are socially determined and defined.

As a result, literacies change as societal definitions of domains of knowledge change. Thinking In Writing Your. We view knowledge within a given domain through the lens of current literacies (DiSessa, 2000:65) meaning that what an individual can know and understand is limited by books elf, and dependent upon their use of semantic and technological tools. Limiting the ‘micro-literacies’ that make up the more holistic view of literacy (‘macro-literacy’) is to limit the ability of the individual to access some of the knowledge within a given domain. For example, using the ‘micro-literacy’ of familiarity with some digital technologies could allow Geography students to communicate in real-time with other students around the world. The knowledge they would gain from this would be of a different order from that which they could construct from the inputs of teacher and textbook. Each ‘micro-literacy’ the students develop counts towards a more global Geographical ‘macro-literacy’. Paper. In turn, this would feed into an ever-higher ‘macro-literacy’ that enables the student to The help elf, function in the world they inhabit.

To be ‘educated’, therefore, could be understood as making links between various domains, which in turn depends upon both micro- and macro-literacies. Macro-literacies cannot be developed without first developing micro-literacies. If knowledge is information contextualised within a given domain, and domains are dependent upon cultural and editing societal factors, then knowledge is affected by the rate of The help info elf change of a society. Critically Thinking In Writing Your. When the rate of societal change and technological innovation is reasonably slow – or at least relatively stable – educational institutions are able to info, predict what an educated person will look like in a argumentative, ten to fifteen years’ time and prepare students accordingly. When the books info elf rate of societal change and technological innovation increases, however, these predictions become less accurate and Critically your strategies have to employed in The help books info elf, order for analysis duchess, educational institutions to be able to function. In practice this means schools sitting on a spectrum somewhere between reactionary measures and The help books info furiously attempting to keep up with the who do term papers do latest initiatives. The difficulty that schools face, as Bourdieu (1988, cited in Snyder, 2002:178) notes, is that to info, transform the present one must have a secure grasp upon it. Harvard Editing. Given the ‘precariousness’ of The help books elf contemporary life this is difficult to Critically thinking in writing includes, achieve: the books info ‘sociality’ of knowledge means that domains of knowledge and of enquiry are constantly shifting. Homework. As a result educational institutions walk a tightrope between anticipating the world which their students will inhabit and books introducing them to includes your, the knowledge and skills that have been and are currently being used by society.

The rate of change of info society in the 21st century is being driven to a great extent by developments in technology. As the OECD report Learning to duchess, Change: ICT in Schools (2001:9) noted, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) has changed the way we live and communicate with one another: The ubiquitous presence and utility of ICT in modern life are having a significant impact on the way we live, and even on the notion of an educated person. It has led to the concept of the knowledge society – sometimes also called the learning society or information society. There is a widespread awareness that these developments have profound implications for education, and that schools must change, but as yet little detailed consideration of the extent of the change needed and the advantages that ICT can bring. Books Info Elf. The growth of the knowledge society and the pervasiveness of the technology represent a major challenge and a major opportunity for education.

Education has a pivotal role to play in society as it is the link between past and future generations. In the past this link has been relatively easy to achieve, as the knowledge and skills useful to acquire would vary only slightly within a generation. In the brave new world of digital technology, however, fundamental shifts in required knowledge skill sets and knowledge can occur several times within a generation. The most important skill one can have in a world where knowledge has a ‘half-life’ (Machlup, 1962) is to learn how to uc essay, learn, to have a secure framework or scaffold upon which new knowledge can be grafted and discarded when necessary. This changing nature of The help elf knowledge has been described by Siemens (2006) as knowledge having ‘broken away from its moorings, its shackles’. Nowhere is this more evident than in the realm of essay educational technology where, using the books elf tools already available in most schools, learners across the Pre algebra help world can communicate, interact and share. The feeling amongst many writers uneasy with current western-style education systems is that tools which can (and in most cases should) be used to elf, radically transform the way young people are educated in the future are being used to prop up the existing system. Tools which should be used to create new literacies are being shoehorned to Best uc essay vacation, supplement or gloss those of the past. Some writers talk of these digital tools being retro-fitted to outdated pedagogies to produce what could be termed ‘School 1.5’ instead of info ‘School 2.0’. Pre Algebra Homework Help. Ironically, when these tools do not lead directly to huge learning gains, at least on such measures as school league tables and the like, it is the The help books elf tools themselves rather than the pedagogy and essay education system which are blamed.

Using relevant technologies is essential in 21st century education when it is the principal way by The help books, which the world is mediated to paper, individuals; new pedagogies need to be constructed to use the The help elf tools and technologies invented and used outside of the school gate. When tools such as online read/write reference resources become more accessible than books and lecture notes, a shift occurs in the way that learners conceptualise not only research, but the world itself. As many authors have noted, we use technology to Companies who do papers, shape the world – but tools, technological or otherwise, also shape us (Burnett, 2002:145; Apple, cited in Darder, et al., 2003:454; Demetriadis, et al., 2003:34; Provenzo, et al., 1999:40; Sutherland, et al., 2004:6) Although he could not have envisaged the online worlds available to us through the Internet, the effect of such tools on The help books learners is put perhaps most succinctly by Dewey (1925, quoted in Blacker McKie, 2003:235): A tool is a particular thing, but it is more than a particular thing, since it is a thing in which a connection, a sequential bond of nature is embodied. It possesses an objective relation as its own defining property. Its perception as well as its actual use takes the mind to other things. The use of educational technology, then, mediates the experience of learners with regard to education and to knowledge, but then so does the use of any tool. This process of human-created tools mediating human experience has an impact upon education: learners need to be able to use and Companies term do shape these tools for their own ends. To be ‘educated’ involves being able to leverage semantic and technological tools across domains in order to make connections. To view the possibilities and potential impact of educational technology requires a re-imagining of teaching and learning. Even with a reconceptualization of what it means to be ‘educated’ and ‘literate’ in the 21st century, what does not change is the The help info elf human element in learning, a thread that winds its way from the Socratic dialogues through to 21st century classrooms and (virtual) lecture theatres.

Although there were fears in the early 1970s when computers first began to be integrated into Pre algebra the mainstream that society would become dehumanised, the former still serves as a tool to the latter. In fact, using ICT is more than just a tool, as computers and The help books info elf other digital devices are flexible enough to analysis essay last, adapt to the user and present them with many different communication and books info elf processing options. It is perhaps better visualised as a plethora of many intellectual tools. This nuanced view is unfortunately missing in much of the How to write a argumentative paper discussions surrounding educational technology and the use of computers in schools more generally. Lemke (2002:45) perhaps demonstrates the most balanced understanding of the ways that educational technology can be used to enhance learning. New technologies can often do the job of elf simulating and talking about the typical activities of the community far better than the average teacher in Best, the average classroom. Technologies will not, however, be able to The help info elf, substitute for direct participation, nor will they be able to homework, replace thoughtful guidance of students’ critical reflection and books elf analysis, nor the emotional encouragement of achievement and creativity that live teachers provide. The difficulty is that the majority of Poem essay educators do not understand the revolutionary potential of ICT to their day-to-day teaching.

What they see as akin to the television or overhead projector has, if not the ability to ‘blow up the The help books info school’ (Papert (1984), cited in Cuban, 1986:72), then certainly the ability to Harvard editing, help create an environment where learners can construct their own educational tools. Elf. Micro-literacies can be thought of as having the ability to create, or at includes your least modify, tools in order to The help info elf, make sense of the knowledge within a given domain. Teaching youngsters how to Companies term do, use existing, outdated tools when a culture is undergoing radical change, is at The help elf best anachronistic (Claxton, 2002:23). Educational technology is not the answer to everything – a teacher’s pedagogical outlook and teaching ability is still the uc essay vacation biggest determinant factor in The help info elf, the quality of a learner’s education – but technology does allow different kinds of ‘ecologies’ to vacation, be created. These are more likely to be focused on learning than on ‘teaching’. (Burnett, 2002: 145) ‘Learning ecologies’ demand a different approach to The help books info elf, education than has been possible previously, and is reflected in some of the ‘personalising learning’ agendas that have made their way into policy in some areas of western education. Instead of the school or teacher-centred model of uc essay learning that mass education has been built upon thus far, a learner-centred ecology has been mooted, especially by constructivists. The driving force behind this has been the The help info elf possibilities opened up by ICT, which has driven curriculum change (OECD, 2001:15) and a rethink of what we mean by Poem duchess, ‘literacy’. The difficulty lies in what Levin Riffel (1997:18) call the ‘logic of The help books elf confidence’: schools can remain fundamentally unchanged so long as they are seen as embodying the analysis essay duchess right kind of activities and processes. Instead of taking steps to The help books, improve learning, tests are taken as a substitute.

Progress is measured by teachers becoming adept at Pre algebra help getting learners through examinations at increasingly higher levels. As politicians also have an info elf, interest in these examination results, the whole system becomes somewhat of a charade. Given this barrier, the greatest bequest of ICT to education thus far may have been simply to write a argumentative, point out how stale and boring traditional teaching actually is (Burniske Monke, 2001:258). Whilst educational systems remain in the straightjacket of results and The help info elf are inextricably linked to a country’s political system, the possibilities of new technologies are likely to be directed towards existing hegemonic power structures. However, as Blacker McKie (2003:241) argue, ICT may provide the perfect, invisible, weapon: a tool presented as neutral, but actually fundamentally value-laden and used to perpetuate the position of the elite within society. Whilst those in positions of control can manipulate the education system and the political process to continue their hegemonic power, then the potential of technology and other innovations are likely to be minimal. Whilst the use of technology is Harvard essay editing, not inevitable, as a society we have made a decision to put it at the centre of our culture – much in the same way as we did with the automobile in the 1950s. (Balle, quoted in Eraut, 1999:89) To ‘jump off the wagon’ and consider a change of direction (Apple, quoted in Darder, et al., 2003:456) would involve a radical change in our civilization. Info Elf. Educators need, therefore, to use the tools available – especially those being used outside the school gates, the cultural experiences of the majority (Beavis, 1998:242). To do otherwise is to prepare young people for a reality that no longer exists – something that is perhaps best illustrated by the following tale told by Benjamin (1971, quoted in Tiffin Rajasingham, 2003:117), …a prehistoric tribe… decided to introduce systematic education for its children.

The curriculum was specifically designed to write a argumentative paper, meet particular survival needs in the local environment and so included such subjects as sabre-tooth-tiger-scaring-with-fire. But the The help books elf climate of the region changes and the sabre tooth tigers perish. Attempts to change the curriculum to meet new survival needs encounter stern opposition. There will always be opposition to essay, major reforms or a new direction: tradition and the status quo are powerful conservative forces. But education in the 21st century is about using knowledge and making connections to create educated people in a sense relevant to today’s society. To be ‘literate’ is a relative notion depending both upon the domain within which one is operating and the relevance of that domain to contemporary life. Uniquely, in the 21st century we could be faced with a literacy problem despite over 99% of people in western society being able to read and write.

Whilst it will remain possible, at least for the time being, for individuals to be considered ‘educated’ without using ICT, these individuals will miss out on The help info elf a large chunk of what it means to be ‘literate’ in the 21st century. The micro-literacies they lack, involving the ability to connect and Harvard essay editing understand the world mediated by digital devices, will serve as barriers to communication and expression. The Help Info. Technology introduces new ways for humans to communicate and create, introduces new micro-literacies that contribute to the wider ‘macro-literacy’ construct and, as a result, redefines what is in writing includes your, meant by an ‘educated’ person in the 21st century. What does it mean to books info elf, be an ‘educated’ person in the 21st century? Is there such a thing as ‘digital literacy’? How do ‘micro literacies’ feed into wider ‘macro literacies’? What is the most appropriate learning theory for the 21st century? The proposed thesis will be non-empirical; policy documents, official reports, and scholarly works will provide the data required. Whilst this negates problems surrounding ethical treatment of research subjects, issues remain as to how to approach and make sense of the data.

There are two main methodological paradigms to make sense of write a argumentative paper research data: the quantitative approach and the qualitative approach. The Help Elf. A purely quantitative approach assumes that objective descriptions of ‘reality’ can be made and that context-free generalisations are possible. A purely qualitiative approach, on the other hand, denies any reality external to that created by the enquirer. On top of this resides dialecticism, a meta-paradigm dependent upon the first two – and Pragmatism, more an heuristic to guide research using these paradigms. To attempt to understand domains, societies and digital spaces within the confines of homework help a positivist quantitative paradigm would seem to be overly-restrictive.

When discussing the physical world it is possible to hold a post-positivist approach, acknowledging the reality of the external world whilst holding that our relations to it can only ever be subjective. When discussing arenas that include digital spaces and connections, however, it is difficult to books info elf, see how even this nuanced view of the positivist project can be sustained. On the other hand, the qualitative paradigm also seems to suffer from a poverty of descriptive power when it comes to the ‘blended’ digital/physical arenas that constitute the ‘knowledge society’. People do agree upon the way the world is, connect meaningfully, and experience things in broadly similar ways. To take a blindly poststructuralist/postmodernist view and to insist on Pre algebra homework the subjectivity of the external, therefore, would be to lose the ability to describe blended arenas and spaces in a meaningful way. The Help. A dialectical approach, meanwhile, whilst appearing attractive in synthesizing approaches, seems teleological which is something to be avoided. Poem Last Duchess. Certainly given the radically democratic nature of the Internet, for example, no individual or group can direct the ends of the masses.

At the same time, the technology itself does not dictate what it is books info, used for; this depends upon the human user(s). Perhaps the best approach to take, therefore, is the Pragmatic one. This is a ‘multi-methodology’ that looks to understand the world from many viewpoints, therefore building up a more coherent picture. This fits in well with the idea discussed above of ‘micro’ and ‘macro’ literacies and also gives more of a picture of what it means to Pre algebra, be ‘educated’ in the 21st century. Pragmatism was originally formulated by books info elf, Charles Sanders Peirce in the pragmatic maxim:

Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to Harvard editing, have. Info. Then, our conception of who do term papers do these effects is the whole of our conception of the object. (quoted in Potter, 1996:94) By this, Peirce meant that concepts (and therefore knowledge statements) emerge from the books elf effects of things such as tools and objects. We need, therefore, to know how tools – digital and otherwise – are actually being used rather than how it was that they were intended to be used. Objects and concepts cannot be separated and considered to How to a argumentative paper, have a separate ‘reality’ from the sum total of the effects they have upon people and info the environment. As a result, considering these effects from multiple points of view allows us to understand better those objects and concepts.

In terms of ‘digital literacy’ this means analysing how government pronouncements work in practice, how policy documents translate into ‘reality’, and considering how representative are surveys and studies making claims about Critically includes, learners in the 21st century. The thesis, then, shall include data collection in the form of analysis of policy documents from government down to grass-roots level. An adaptation of the eight-step process outlined by Johnson and Onwuegbuzie (2004) shall be considered as a model to move from research question through to analysis. This, briefly stated is: Formulation of research question(s) Outline of purpose of mixed research Selection of research methodologies Data collection Data analysis Data interpretation Legitimation Final report with conclusions drawn. The data being collected in this non-empirical thesis comes from a multitude of sources.

As a result, the Pragmatic method will allow for research from various backgrounds to be juxtaposed and synthesised where appropriate to give a bigger and more coherent picture. Steps 4-6, data collection, analysis and interpretation will therefore be somewhat combined rather than in distinctive ‘steps’. Step 7 (Legitimation) will have to The help books info elf, come at the same time as Step 3 (Selection of methodologies) to give credence to the entire project. This will result, therefore, in a five-step process: Formulation of Harvard essay editing research questions(s) Outline of The help purpose of research Selection and legitimation of Harvard editing research methodologies Data collection, analysis and interpretation Conclusion. This process within the Pragmatic framework will allow an understanding to be gained of how the info elf many stakeholders, interested parties and Pre algebra pressure groups within the UK education system conceive of ‘digital literacy’ and what it means to be ‘educated’.

A multi-methodological approach should ascertain the extent to which these conceptions are diverse. Books Info Elf. At times, ‘hard’ data – such as that provided by research from a predominantly quantitative perspective – will be analysed and at others a ‘thicker’, more descriptive perspective will be required. The thesis will not attempt to Harvard essay, make general and sweeping claims about the The help elf whole education system but instead, where appropriate, highlight conflicts, disagreements and Companies who do term papers disparities in the wording and implementation of books info policies surrounding digital literacies. This should inform what it means to be ‘educated’ in the 21st century. Finally, a comparison shall be drawn with other countries in terms of Critically thinking your varying approaches to books, 21st century education and what it means to be ‘digitally literate’. Essay. Difficulties shall certainly arise here in terms of The help info elf ease of Best vacation access to policy documents below governmental level. However, where it would seem that the policies and info incentives evident in another country or culture would benefit the educational system in essay editing, England and The help books Wales, these shall be highlighted.

Those countries that it would be worth researching initially, it would seem, are Singapore (government commitment to digital infrastructure), the United States (for purposes of Poem duchess comparison), and The help info elf another European country such as Sweden or Norway. This, whilst not the main focus of the thesis, should nevertheless give a flavour of global links, issues and concerns and situate the rest of the thinking discussion in a context. The proposed thesis shall focus upon the concept of ‘digital literacy’, using a Pragmatic method in an attempt to understand the educational landscape within which it resides in England and Wales. By comparing and books elf contrasting research, governmental policy documents, the views of various groups within education and on essay the fringe, and what goes on in schools, a broad view of books elf what literacy means in the 21st century should be obtained. Help. These shall then be compared and info contrasted both internally and with other countries, especially economic competitors to the UK as a whole. Achterhuis, H. (2001) Philosophy of Technology: The Empirical Turn (Indiana University Press) Apple, M. (2003) ‘Is the New Technology part of the solution or part of the problem in education? (in A. Darder, M. Poem Analysis Essay Last. Baltodano R.D. Torres, The Critical Pedagogy Reader; London) Barton, D. The Help Books Elf. M. Hamilton (2000) ‘Literacy Practices’ (in Barton, D., Hamilton, M. Ivanic, R. (eds.), Situated Literacies: reading and writing in context, London) Beavis, C. (1998) ‘Computer games, culture and curriculum’ (in I. Snyder (ed.), Page to Screen: taking literacy into the electronic era; London, 1998) Blacker, D. J. McKie (2003) ‘Information and Communication Technology’ (in N. Pre Algebra Homework. Blake, et al. (eds.), The Blackwell Guide to The help elf, the Philosophy of uc essay vacation Education; Oxford, 2003) Burnett, R. (2002) Technology, Learning and Visual Culture (in I. Snyder (ed.), Silicon Literacies: Communication, Innovation and Education in the Electronic Age, London) Burniske, R.W. L. The Help Books Info Elf. Monke (2001) Breaking Down the Digital Walls: learning to teach in a post-modem world (New York) Carr, D. (2003) Making Sense of Education: an introduction to the philosophy and theory of education and teaching (London) Claxton, G. (2002) ‘Education for the Learning Age: A Sociocultural Approach to Learning to Learn’ (in G. Who Do Term Papers Do. Wells G. Claxton (eds.), Learning for Life in the 21st Century, Oxford, 2002) Cromer, A. (1997) Connected Knowledge: Science, Philosophy, and Education (Oxford) Cuban, L. (1986) Teachers and The help books Machines: the Companies papers do classroom use of technology since 1920 (London) Delors, J., (1996a) Choices for education: the political factor, in J. Delors (ed.), Learning:The Treasure Within (UNESCO, France) Delors, J. (1996b) The Four Pillars of The help elf Education, in Harvard essay editing, J. Delors (ed.), Learning:The Treasure Within (UNESCO, France, 1996) Demetriadis, S., et al. The Help Books Info. (2003) ‘ Cultures in negotiation’: teachers’ acceptance/resistance attitudes considering the infusion of technology into schools’ (Computers Education, 41, 2003) Dickens, C. (2007 ed.) Hard Times (London) DiSessa, A.A. (2000) Changing Minds: computers, learning, and literacy (London) Eraut, M. A Argumentative. (1991) Education and the Information Society: a challenge for European policy (London) Friedman, T.L. The Help Books. (2005) The World Is Flat: the globalized world in the 21st century (London) Johnson, R.B.

A.J. Onwuegbezie (2004)’Mixed Methods Research: A Research Paradigm Whose Time Has Come’ (Educational Researcher, Vol. 33, No.7, 14-26) Kellner, D.M. (2002) ‘Technological Revolution, Multiple Literacies, and the Restructuring of Education’ (in I. Snyder (ed.), Silicon Literacies: communication, innovation and education in uc essay, the electronic age, London) Lemke, J.L. (2002) ‘Becoming the Village: Education Across Lives’ (in G. Wells G. Claxton (eds.), Learning for Life in the 21st Century, Oxford, 2002) Levin, B. J.A. Riffel (1997) Schools and the Changing World: struggling toward the future (London) Machlup, F. (1962) The Production and Distribution of Knowledge in the United States (New York) McCain, T. (2005) Teaching For Tomorrow: teaching content and problem-solving skills (Thousand Oaks, California) Michigan State University (2004), VISION 2004 statement (http://www.msu.edu/unit/provost/Educated_Person.htm, accessed 3 October 2007 – cached at books http://tinyurl.com/38f3am) Muller, J. (2000) Reclaiming Knowledge: social theory, curriculum and education policy (London) OECD (2001) Learning to Change: ICT in essay last duchess, Schools Okan, Z. (2003) ‘Edutainment: is learning at risk?’ (British Journal of Educational Technology, 34:3) Petrina, S. (2007) Advanced Teaching Methods for info elf, the Technology Classroom (New York) Postman, N. (1993) Technopoly: the surrender of culture to technology (London) Potter, V.G. (1996) Peirce’s Philosophical Perspectives (New York) Provenzo, E.F., et al. (1999) Computers, Curriculum, and How to paper Cultural Change: an introduction for teachers (London) Reilly, B. (1996) ‘New Technologies, New Literacies, New Patterns’ (in C. Books Elf. Fisher, D.C. Dwyer K. Yocam (eds.), Education and write a argumentative Technology: reflections on computing in The help books info, classrooms (San Francisco) Rodriguez Illera, J.L. (2004) ‘Digital Literacies’ (Interactive Educational Multimedia, number 9 (November 2004) Siemens, G. (2006) Knowing Knowledge (http://www.knowingknowledge.com, accessed 24 August 2007) Smith, R. P. Analysis Last. Curtin (1998) ‘Children, computers and life online: education in a cyber-world’ (in I. Snyder, Page to Screen, London) Snyder, I. (2002) ‘Communication, Imagination, Critique – Literacy Education for the Electronic Age’ (in I. Snyder (ed.), Silicon Literacies: communication, innovation and info elf education in the electronic age, London) Stonier, T. C. Conlin (1985) The Three C’s: children, computers, communication (Chichester) Sutherland, R. InterActive project team, ‘Designs for Learning: ICT and Critically in writing knowledge in the classroom’ (Computers Education, 43, 2004) Tiffin, J. L. Rajasingham, (2003) The Global Virtual University (New York) Town, J.S. (2003) ‘Information Literacy: definition, measurement, impact’ (in A. Martin H. Rader (eds.), Information and IT literacy: enabling learning in the 21st century, London, 2003) UNESCO (2004) ‘The Plurality of Literacy and its Implications for Policies and Programmes (France) Wow Doug – looks pretty darn impressive to me. Also looks like a heck of a lot of work. Well done! How dare they fail your first submission – it was a masterpiece ;o)

PS love the quotation in The help elf, your new header – very amusing :oD. Thanks for the praise, Jenny and Lisa! #128578; @Lisa: This is actually the one of which you kindly agreed to proof-read a draft. Have you noticed that the quotation in the header changes when you refresh the page? :-p. I subscribe to George Siemens elearningspace and a argumentative received an email today, with a link to your blog. It’s come at an opportune time, I’m considering concept papers for my ed.D. as well (at Nova Southeastern Uni).

For a course leading up to my concept paper, I wrote papers on social networking, globalisation and technological progress as well as trends in education. ON another note, where I teach ( an International School in Kuala Lumpur) is The help books info, moving towards at 1:1 program. Harvard Essay. We’ve visted 3 different schools, where terms such as “21st century learners” and “21st century literacy skills” are mentioned, however not articulated. I loved your proposal, similar to the direction where I am heading. Hi Bron, glad you liked the proposal and you found it useful! #128578;

George Siemens has linked to this proposal, but for The help books, some reason it doesn’t seem to have shown up with a trackback… :-s. Thought your proposal was great. I’m starting my research for Critically thinking includes, my Ed.D in primary schools in the West of Scotland. My topic is very similar to yours, ‘The impact of life on literacy practices: Digital Literacy in primary schools’. I’ll send you my first paper soon.

I’ll send you my first paper soon. That would be great Jane – thanks! It’ll be interesting to compare and contrast not only primary/secondary issues, but those of the Scottish/English systems. #128578; I#039;m leading an books info, initiative at my universtiy that aims to define and deliver Digital Fluency as a core graduate attribute. 6 months into this work and people here are now getting really interested in the concept and its relevance to 21st century learning. Let me know if you#039;d be interested in Pre algebra homework help, this -happy to share what we#039;ve learnt so far. That sounds very interesting! With Jane at the Primary level, myself at elf the Secondary level and Companies who do papers you at University level, we’ll have it all covered. Do get in touch via the contact form directly to let me know what you’re up to. #128512; quite impressive, indeed. would like to know what the evaluators thought to be the missing 37 % ? I sympathise on the failure thing. Check out my post on the subject.

I reckon this is a good topic, but potentially broad. The Help. There’s certainly a wealth of material on last duchess the blogosphere that you could use. There are quite a few analogies with functional literacy that can be drawn. First if all: your work looks very good. I don’t understand what your evaluators might want more… I’m working (and it will be very probable also part of my PhD..) on a project about the concept of “digital competence”. We are developing also tests and other assessments. Maybe it could be useful share our works… 1. Is DL the same at all age levels (e.g., high school graduate vs college graduate)? 2. Is DL the The help books info same for all professions?

3. Who is to Pre algebra homework, define DL — you? Pretty subjective and not very research based. 4. Put all research results in a table to see which one says what skill is needed. 5. Won’t your results be outdated almost by the time you’re finished? Thanks for the questions and The help info elf feedback. My response: 1. That’s certainly something I’ll be looking at. My gut feeling is that they’d all be on the same spectrum, yes.:-) 2. I’d need some counter-examples to prevent me simply saying ‘yes’.

In the Harvard same way that ‘literacy’ ranges across domains, so ‘digital literacy’ does, I think. 3. I’ll be looking at how others have defined digital literacy and whether definitions of The help books other terms come close to what I’m getting at. I’ll be looking for consensus, common sense and tentative suggestions, not dogmatic statements about what I believe – so I hope it will be research-based and Best uc essay moving towards some type of objectivity. :-p. 4. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate? 5. Perhaps, but hopefully not! Also, I’m undertaking the Ed.D. for a variety of reasons. Info. One of the strongest is for my development and so I interact with a wide range of literature and in writing includes your resources.

It’s as much about me grappling with issues as it is The help info elf, about contributing something original.:-) 4. If you’re going to research what others say about DL and what skills are included in those definitions, then it makes sense to put that info into a table so that you can compare visually across columns/rows. I’m due to start my Ed.D next year. It’s really interesting and useful to How to, read your proposal. At present I’m considering focusing on The help books elf the relationship between the primary school and parents (stakeholders) in light of the Ed changes since 1988. Your proposal is impressive.Incidentally,I just passed my Ed.D proposal.I am studying at Critically in writing the university of Sheffield.I am focusing on boys and The help books elf literacy.But I am curious:How can a non doctoral research supervisor manage the work of a doctoral student?

@Andre: Exactly! I haven’t been too impressed with the lack of urgency in finding myself a new one, either… #128577;

Order Essays Online: No Plagiarism And Top Quality -
Learning to Be a Good Friend: A Guidebook for Kids (Elf-Help Books

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, buy essay online help and buy professionals essays -
Gratitude Therapy (Elf-help Books): Christine A Adams, R W Alley

Your Ultimate APA Format Guide Generator. APA stands for the American Psychological Association, which is an organization that focuses on psychology. Info! They are responsible for creating APA Style. APA Style, or APA citing, is Poem essay last duchess used by many scholars and researchers in the behavior and social sciences, not just psychology. APA Style is a way to The help info elf format citations. Harvard Essay! There are other citation formats such as MLA and Chicago, but APA is most popular in the science fields. Following the info same standard format for citations allows readers to understand the types of sources used in a project and also understand their components. The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association is currently in its 6th edition.

It outlines proper ways to organize and structure a research paper, explains grammar guidelines, and Poem, also how to properly cite sources. This page focuses on how to create APA citations. We cite sources for many reasons. One reason is to The help info give credit to write a argumentative paper the creator of the work that you used to help you with your research. The Help Elf! When you use another person’s research or information to help you with your project, it is essay duchess important to give acknowledgement to that individual. This is one way to prevent plagiarism. Another reason why we create citations is to The help books elf provide a standard way for essay last duchess, others to understand and possibly explore the sources we used. To learn more about citations, check out this page on crediting work. Click here to learn more on The help books, how to be careful of plagiarism. There are two types of citations in APA.

In-text citations are found in essay, the body of the project and are used when adding a direct quote or paraphrase into your work. Info! Reference citations are found in the reference list, which is at the end of the assignment and includes the full APA citations of all sources used in a project. Depending on the types of sources that you used for your project, the format you use for your citations is editing different for each source type. There is a certain format for books, a different one for journal articles, a different one for websites, and so on. Scroll down to find the appropriate APA citation format for your sources. Even though the The help books info elf structure varies across different sources, see below for a full explanation of APA in-text citations and reference citations.

To learn more about APA style format, including APA’s blog, formatting questions, APA referencing explanations, click on this link for further reading on the style. When using a direct quote or paraphrasing information from a source, include an in-text citation in the body of Harvard editing, your project, immediately following it. APA In-text citations may look something like this: “Direct quote” or paraphrase (Author’s name, Year, page number). See the books info elf section below titled, In-Text or Parenthetical Citations, for a full explanation and APA format instructions. Each source used to help with the analysis duchess gathering of research or information for your project is The help books listed as a full citation in the reference list, which is Poem essay last usually the last part of a project.

The APA citation format for each source is based on the type of source used. Scroll down to see examples of some common source formats. Most citations include the following pieces of information, commonly in books info, this order: Author’s Last name, First Initial. (Date published). Title of Source. Location of Publisher: Publisher. Retrieved from URL. To determine the exact format for do, your full APA citations, scroll down to the section titled, “Common ALA Examples.”

If you’re looking for an easy way to create your citations, use BibMe’s APA citation machine. Our APA citation maker automatically formats your citations quickly and The help books info elf, easily. Authors are displayed in essay last duchess, reverse order: Last name, First initial, Middle initial, followed with a period. In an APA citation, include all authors shown on a source. If using BibMe’s APA reference generator, click “Add another contributor” to add additional author names. Our free APA citation creator will format the authors in The help info elf, the order in How to a argumentative, which you add them. If your APA reference list has multiple authors with the same last name and initials, include their first name in brackets.

Brooks, G. [Geraldine]. (2005). March . Brooks, G. [Gwendolyn]. Books! (1949). Annie Allen . When no author is listed, exclude the author information and start the citation with the title. When citing an entire edited book, place the names of editors in homework help, the author position and follow it with Ed. Info! or Eds. in parentheses. See below for examples of citing edited books in their entirety and Best vacation, also chapters in The help elf, edited books.

How to Structure Publication Dates in APA: Place the Harvard essay editing date that the source was published in parentheses after the books elf name of the author. For periodicals, include the month and day as well. Homework Help! If no date is available, place n.d. in parentheses. How to Structure the books Title in APA: For book titles: Only capitalize the first letter of the first word in the title and the same for the subtitle in your APA citation. Capitalize the first letter for any proper nouns as well. Place this information in italics. End it with a period. Example: Gone with the wind. For articles and chapter titles: Only capitalize the first letter of the first word in the title and help, the same for the subtitle.

Capitalize the first letter for any proper nouns as well. Do not italicize the title or place it in quotation marks. End it with a period. Example: The correlation between school libraries and test scores: A complete overview. For magazine, journal, and newspaper titles: Write the title in standard form, with each important word starting with a capital letter. The Boston Globe. If you believe that it will help the reader to books understand the type of write a argumentative, source, such as a brochure, lecture notes, or an audio podcast, place a description directly after the title. Only capitalize the first letter. New World Punx. (2014, February 15). A state of info, trance 650 [Audio file].

Retrieved from https://soundcloud.com/newworldpunx/asot650utrecht. How to Structure Publication Information in APA: For books and sources that are not periodicals: Give the city and state (or city and uc essay vacation, country if outside of the U.S.) for the place of publication. Abbreviate the state name using the two-letter abbreviation. Place a colon after the location. For journals, magazines, newspapers, and other periodicals: In APA format, place the volume number after the title. Italicize this information. Place the issue number in parentheses and do not italicize it. Afterwards, include page numbers.

Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, 57 (1), 79-82. If you’re citing a newspaper article, include p. or pp. before the books info page numbers. How to Critically Structure the Publisher in APA: In APA format, the names of publishers are not necessary to The help books info elf include for Pre algebra, newspapers, magazines, journals, and other periodicals. For books and other sources: It is not necessary to type out the The help books info elf name of the publisher exactly as it is shown on the source. Pre Algebra! Use a brief, but understandable form of the publisher’s name. Exclude the terms publishers, company, and The help books, incorporated. Include Books and Press if it is part of the publisher’s name. End this information with a period. Little Brown and Company would be placed in the APA citation as Little Brown.

Oxford University Press would be placed in the citation as Oxford University Press. For sources found online, after the publication information, add a period. Then, add: Retrieved from URL. Do not place a period after the URL. If you’re citing a periodical article found online, there might be a DOI number attached to it. This stands for Direct Object Identifier. If your article does indeed have a DOI number, use this instead of the Harvard essay editing URL as the DOI number is static and never changes. If the source you’re citing has a DOI number, after the publication information add a period and then doi:xxxxxxx The x’s indicate where you should put the DOI number.

Do not place a period after the DOI number. If you’re using BibMe’s automatic APA reference generator, you will see an area to type in the DOI number. Lobo, F. (2017, February 23). Sony just launched the books info elf world’s fastest SD card. Mashable . Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2017/02/23/sony-sf-g-fastest-sd-card/?utm_cid=mash-prod-nav-sub-st#ErZKV8blqOqO. Chadwell, F.A., Fisher, D.M. (2016 April-June). Creating open textbooks: A unique partnership between Oregon State University libraries and press and open Oregon State. Open Praxis, 8 (2), 123-130. doi:EJ1103945. APA Citations Format and Examples:

Author’s Last name, F. M. (Year published). Title of How to write a argumentative paper, book . Saenz, B.A. (2012). Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe . Looking for an APA formatter? Don’t forget that BibMe’s APA citation generator creates your citation quickly and easily. Citations for E-Books found online: Author’s Last name, F.M. (Year published). Title of book . Retrieved from URL. Colwin, L. (2014). Happy all the time. . Retrieved from books https://books.google.com/books?id=EemmBAAAQBAJlpg=PP1dq=happypg=PP1#v=onepageq=happyf=false.

Notice that for e-books, publication information is excluded from the citation. Citations for Companies papers, Chapters in Edited Books: Chapter author’s last name, F.M. (Year published). Title of chapter. In F.M. The Help Books Info! Last name of homework help, Editor (Ed.), Title of book (p. x or pp. x-x). The Help! Location: Publisher. Poem Analysis Essay! doi:xxxxxxx. Longacre, W.A., Ayres, J.E. (1968). Archeological lessons from an Apache wickiup. In S.R. Binford L.R.

Binford (Eds.), Archeology in cultural systems (pp. 151-160). Retrieved from https://books.google.com/books?id=vROM3JrrRa0C=PP1=archeology=PR9#v=onepage=archeology=false. Editor, A.A. (Ed.). (Year published). Title of edited book . Location: Publisher. Gupta, R. The Help Info! (Ed.). (2003). Remote sensing geology . Term Papers! Germany: Springer-Verlag. Author’s Last name, F.M. Books! (Year published). Title of article or page . Retrieved from URL.

Mardell, M. Pre Algebra! (2017). Facing the robotic revolution . Books Elf! Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39028030. Looking for an APA formatter to cite your website sources? Use BibMe’s APA citation generator! Citations for Journal Articles found Online: Author’s Last name, F.M. (Date published). Title of article. Write A Argumentative Paper! Title of journal, volume number (issue number), page range. doi:xxxxxx. Spreer, P., Rauschnabel, P.A. (2016, September). Selling with technology: Understanding the resistance to mobile sales assistant use in retailing. Journal of Personal Selling Sales Management, 36 (3), 240-263. doi:10.1080/08853134.2016.1208100.

Don’t forget, BibMe’s APA formatter, or APA citation generator, helps your cite your sources quickly and easily! Our free APA citation maker is simple to use! Citations for Newspapers found Online: Author’s Last name, F.M. (Year, Month Day). Title of article. Title of Newspaper . Retrieved from books elf URL. Khullar, D. (2017, February 22). Bad hospital design is How to write paper making us sicker. The Help Elf! The New York Times . Retrieved from https://nyti.ms/2lujQ76. Looking for an APA formatter to help you cite your newspaper sources? Check out BibMe’s APA citation machine!

Our APA format generator, or APA citation builder, creates your citations quickly and easily. In Text and Parenthetical Citations. What is an APA In Text Citation or Parenthetical Citation? The purpose of APA in text and parenthetical citations is to homework help give the reader a brief idea as to where you found your information, while they’re in the middle of reading or viewing your project. You may include direct quotes in the body of your project, which are word-for-word quotes from another source. Or, you may include a piece of information that you paraphrased into your own words. These are called parenthetical citations. Both direct quotes and paraphrased information include an in The help books info elf, text citation directly following it. You also need to include the full citation for the source in the APA reference list, which is usually the last item in a project. In Text Citations for Direct Quotes: In APA format, the in text citation is found immediately following the direct quote.

It should include the page number or section information to help the reader locate the quote themselves. Buck needed to adjust rather quickly upon who do do his arrival in Canada. He states, “no lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment’s safety” (London, 1903, p. 25). In Text Citations for Paraphrased Information:

When taking an idea from another source and placing it in your own words, it is not necessary to include the page number, but you can add it if the source is large and you want to direct readers right to the information. At the time, papyrus was used to create paper, but it was only grown and available in mass quantities in Egypt. This posed a problem for the Greeks and Romans, but they managed to have it exported to their civilizations. Papyrus thus remained the material of choice for paper creation (Casson, 2001). How to The help info elf Format In Text and Parenthetical Citations:

After a direct quote or paraphrase, place in parentheses the Pre algebra last name of the author, add a comma, and then the year the source was published. If citing a direct quote, also include the page number that the information was found on. Close the parentheses and add a period afterwards. In APA format, if the author’s name is included in the text of your project, omit their name from the in-text citation and only include the other identifying pieces of information. Smith states that, “the Museum Effect is concerned with how individuals look at a work of art, but only in The help info elf, the context of looking at that work along with a number of other works” (2014, p. Poem Analysis Essay Last Duchess! 82).

If your source has two authors, always include both names in each in-text citation. If your source has three, four, or five authors, include all names in the first in-text citation along with the date. In the following in text citations, only books info include the first author’s name and follow it with et al. 1st in-text citation: (Gilley, Johnson, Witchell, 2015) 2nd and Poem analysis essay, any other subsequent citations: (Gilley, et al.) If your source has six or more authors, only include the first author’s name in the first citation and follow it with et al. Include the year the source was published and the page numbers (if it is a direct quote). 1st in-text citation: (Jasper, et al., 2017) 2nd and any other subsequent citations: (Jasper, et al., 2017)

If your source was written by a company, organization, government agency, or other type of group, include the group’s name in The help books info, full in the first in Harvard essay editing, text citation. In any in info, text citations following it, it is Pre algebra help acceptable to shorten the group name to something that is books simple and understandable. 1st citation: (American Eagle Outfitters, 2017) 2nd and How to write, subsequent citations: (American Eagle, 2017) Check out this page to learn more about parenthetical citations. Also, BibMe’s APA citation machine creates your parenthetical citations quickly and easily.

Towards the books elf end of creating a full reference citation, you’ll see the Harvard essay option to create a parenthetical citation in the APA format generator. The listing of all sources used in your project are found in the APA reference list, which is usually the last page or part of a project. Included in this reference list are sources you used to gather research and other information. In APA format, it is not necessary to include personal communications in the reference list, such as personal emails or letters. These specific sources only The help elf need in-text citations, which are found in the body of Companies who do term, your project. All APA citations, or references, are listed in alphabetical order by the author’s last name. If you have two sources by the same author, place them in order by elf, the year of publication. Thompson, H.S. (1971). Fear and Poem last duchess, loathing in Las Vegas: A savage journey to the heart of the The help info American dream . Thompson, H.S. (1998).

The rum diary . If there are multiple sources with the Harvard editing same author AND same publication date, place them in alphabetical order by the title. Dr. Suess. (1958). The cat in the hat comes back. New York, NY: Random House. Dr. Suess. (1958). Yertle the turtle. New York, NY: Random House. In an APA citation, if a source does not have an author, place the source in alphabetical order by The help elf, the first main word of the title.

Need help creating the citations in your APA reference list? BibMe’s APA formatter can help! Our APA citation machine creates your citations by entering a keyword, URL, title, or other identifying information. Need to create APA format papers? Follow these guidelines to produce a research paper in APA format:

In an APA style paper, the font used throughout your document should be in Times New Roman, 12 point font size. The entire document should be double spaced, even between titles and headings. Margins should be 1 inch around the entire document and indent every new paragraph using the tab button on your keyboard. Place the pages in the following order: Title page (An APA format title page should include a title, running head, author line, institution line, and Best vacation, author’s note). (Page 1) Abstract page (page 2) Text or body of research paper (start on books, page 3) Reference List Page for tables (if necessary) Page for figures (if necessary) Appendices page (if necessary)

The title page counts as page 1. Number the pages afterwards using Arabic numbers (1, 2, 3, 4…). What is a running head? In an APA paper, next to the page numbers, include what is called a “running head.” The running head is a simplified version of the title of your paper. Place the running head in the top left corner of your project and analysis essay last duchess, place it in books, capital letters. On the title page only, include the phrase: Running head. Title page example:

Running head: QUALITY LIBRARY PROGRAMS. For the rest of the paper or project, do not use the term, Running head. Example of Poem analysis, subsequent pages: QUALITY LIBRARY PROGRAMS. Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and many other word processing programs allow you to set up page numbers and a repeated running head. Use these tools to make this addition easier for you! If you’re looking for an APA sample paper, check out the other resources found on BibMe. Using BibMe to Create Citations for your Reference List or Bibliography. Looking to cite your sources quickly and easily? BibMe’s APA formatter, or APA citation generator, helps you generate your APA citations by entering a title, ISBN, URL, or other identifying information. Background Information and History of APA:

The American Psychological Association was founded in 1892 at Clark University, in info elf, Worcester, Massachusetts. APA style format was developed in Best uc essay vacation, 1929 by books info elf, scholars from a number of different scientific fields and backgrounds. Their overall goal was to develop a standard way to document scientific writing and research. Since its inception, the APA Style Manual has been updated numerous times and it is now in its 6th edition. The 6th edition was released in How to a argumentative, 2010. In 2012, APA published an The help, addition to their 6th edition manual, which was a guide for creating APA citations for electronic resources. Today, there are close to 118,000 APA members. There is an annual convention, numerous databases, and journal publications.

Some of homework, their more popular resources include the database, PsycINFO, and The help info, the publications, Journal of Applied Psychology and Health Psychology. Our citation guides provide detailed information about Critically thinking includes all types of sources in MLA, APA, Chicago and Turabian styles. If required by your instructor, you can add annotations to your citations. Just select Add Annotation while finalizing your citation. You can always edit a citation as well.

Remember to info elf evaluate your sources for accuracy and credibility. Questionable sources could result in a poor grade!

Order Paper Writing Help 24/7 -
Help is Here for Facing Fear! (Elf-Help Books for Kids): Molly Wigand

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, order your own writing help now -

accademic essay A major change that has occurred in the Western family is an books info increased incidence in divorce. Best Vacation? Whereas in the past, divorce was a relatively rare occurrence, in recent times it has become quite commonplace. This change is borne out clearly in census figures. For example thirty years ago in Australia, only one marriage in ten ended in divorce; nowadays the figure is more than one in three (Australian Bureau of Statistics, 1996: p.45). The Help Books Elf? A consequence of this change has been a substantial increase in the number of single parent families and the attendant problems that this brings (Kilmartin, 1997) . Who Do Papers Do? An important issue for sociologists, and The help elf indeed for all of society, is why these changes in Companies who do do, marital patterns have occurred. The Help Info? In this essay I will seek to critically examine a number of sociological explanations for the #039;divorce phenomenon#039; and also consider the social policy implications that each explanation carries with it. It will be argued that the best explanations are to be found within a broad socio-economic framework. One type of explanation for rising divorce has focused on changes in laws relating to marriage.

For example, Bilton, Bonnett and last duchess Jones (1987) argue that increased rates of divorce do not necessarily indicate that families are now more unstable. It is possible, they claim, that there has always been a degree of marital instability. Info Elf? They suggest that changes in the law have been significant, because they have provided unhappily married couples with #039;access to a legal solution to How to write a argumentative paper, pre-existent marital problems#039; (p.301) . Bilton et al. therefore believe that changes in The help info, divorce rates can be best explained in terms of changes in the legal system. The problem with this type of explanation however, is that it does not consider why these laws have changed in the first place. It could be argued that reforms to family law, as well as the increased rate of divorce that has accompanied them, are the product of more fundamental changes in society. Another type of explanation is one that focuses precisely on Pre algebra help these broad societal changes. For example, Nicky Hart (cited in Haralambos, 1995) argues that increases in divorce and marital breakdown are the result of books info elf economic changes that have affected the family. One example of these changes is the raised material aspirations of families, which Hart suggests has put pressure on both spouses to become wage earners. Do? Women as a result have been forced to become both homemakers and economic providers.

According to Hart, the contradiction of these two roles has lead to conflict and this is the main cause of marital breakdown. It would appear that Hart#039;s explanation cannot account for all cases of divorce - for example, marital breakdown is liable to occur in families where only the husband is working. Nevertheless, her approach, which is to relate changes in family relations to broader social forces, would seem to be more probing than one that looks only at legislative change. Books? The two explanations described above have very different implications for social policy, especially in relation to how the problem of analysis last duchess increasing marital instability might be dealt with. Books Info? Bilton et al. Critically Thinking Includes Your? (1995) offer a legal explanation and books info elf hence would see the solutions also being determined in this domain. If rises in divorce are thought to be the consequence of liberal divorce laws, the How to a argumentative paper, obvious way to stem this rise is to make them less obtainable. Books Info? This approach, one imagines, would lead to a reduction in divorce statistics; however, it cannot really be held up as a genuine solution to the problems of marital stress and breakdown in society. Indeed it would seem to be a solution directed more at symptoms than addressing fundamental causes. Furthermore, the experience of social workers, working in the area of family welfare suggests that restricting a couple#039;s access to divorce would in some cases serve only to exacerbate existing marital problems (Johnson, 1981). In those cases where violence is last involved, the consequences could be tragic.

Apart from all this, returning to more restrictive divorce laws seems to be a solution little favoured by The help info elf, Australians. (Harrison, 1990). Hart (cited in Haralambos, 1995), writing from a Marxist-feminist position, traces marital conflict to changes in the capitalist economic system and their resultant effect on the roles of men and women. It is difficult to know however, how such an analysis might be translated into practical social policies. This is because the Hart program would appear to require in the first place a radical restructuring of the economic system. Whilst this may be desirable for some, it is not achievable in the present political climate. Hart is right however, to Best vacation, suggest that much marital conflict can be linked in books info, some way to the economic circumstances of families. This is borne out in many statistical surveys which show consistently that rates of divorce are higher among socially disadvantaged families (McDonald, 1993). Your? This situation suggests then that social policies need to The help info, be geared to who do, providing support and security for these types of families. It is little cause for optimism however, that in recent years governments of The help elf all persuasions have shown an increasing reluctance to fund social welfare programs of vacation this kind. It is difficult to offer a comprehensive explanation for the growing trend of marital breakdown; and it is even more difficult to find solutions that might ameliorate the problems created by it.

Clearly though, as I have argued in this essay, the most useful answers are to be found not within a narrow legal framework, but within a broader socio-economic one. Finally, it is worth pointing out that, whilst we may appear to be living in a time of increased family instability, research suggests that historically, instability may have been the norm rather than the exception. As Bell and Zajdow (1997) point out, in the past, single parent and step families were more common than is assumed - although the disruptive influence then was not divorce, but the premature death of one or both parents. This situation suggests that in studying the modern family, one needs to employ a historical perspective, including the possibility of The help books info elf looking to Pre algebra homework, the past in searching for books elf ways of dealing with problems in the present. Australian Bureau of Statistics (1996). Divorces, Australia . Canberra: Australian Government Printing Service. Bell, R. and help G. Zajdow (1997) Family and household. Elf? In R. Jureidini, S. Pre Algebra? Kenny and M. Poole (eds). Sociology: Australian Connections . St Leonards.

NSW: Allen and Unwin. Bilton, T., K. Bonnett and P. The Help Books? Jones (1987). Introductory Sociology , 2nd edition. London: MacMillan. Haralambos, M. (1995). Sociology: Themes and Perspectives , 3rd edition. London: Bell and Hyman. Harrison, M. (1995). Grounds for divorce. Family Matters . No 42 pp 34-35.

Johnson, V. (1981). The Last Resort: A Women#039;s Refuge . Ringwood: Penguin. Kilmartin, C. (1997). Children divorce and one-parent families. Family Matters . Harvard? No. 48. ( Available On-line ) McDonald, P. (1993). Family Trends and Structure in Australia . Australian Family Briefings No 3. Melbourne: Australian Institute of Family Studies. Problems? Questions? Comments?

Please provide us feedback.

Order Essay -

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, write my essay -

Effects of Collectivistic and The help elf Individualistic Cultures on Imagination Inflation in Eastern and Western Cultures. This study sought to Pre algebra, determine whether the participant’s cultural background might influence the magnitude of the info change in confidence levels for the dimension of Companies who do term papers do collectivism/individualism that is emphasized by books info elf that cultural background. That is, the two significant main effects of the imagery condition on confidence levels from the second session and on the change of confidence ratings from the first to the second session demonstrate the imagination inflation effect. Overall, people had higher confidence that the events happened from the probed events, compared to the not probed events. This replicates previous findings that show an increase in confidence that a fictional event that was imagined actually happened (Garry, Manning, Loftus Sherman, 1996; Garry, Sharman, Wade, Hunt Smith, 2001). Imagining the event makes it more accessible and more vivid in your mind. The fact that the event is situated in a period of time when you were 10 years old and vacation thus the source of the memory is less accessible than the details of the event aids to the appearance of this phenomenon. Imagination inflation can also be influenced by familiarity with the event (e.g., if the participant has ever seen anyone else doing the action or involved in the event he or she has to imagine) and the plausibility of the event (e.g., how likely is the participant to have seen an The help books info elf animal give birth if he or she has grown up in a metropolis) (Garry et al., 1996). The two marginally significant main effects of the event type on the confidence levels from the second session and on the change in confidence ratings from the first to the second session illustrates that the type of event had somewhat of an effect but not in the direction predicted, as the interaction between the participants’ cultural background and the focus of the event will show. Previous studies reflect similar results (Pezdek, Finger Hodge, 1997), such that Catholics tended to show recall for the Catholic false event presented to them at a previous session, whereas Jews tended to How to write a argumentative paper, show memories for the Jewish false event.

These results suggest that false memories can be created for more plausible, culturally relevant events. The Help Books Elf! Thus, collectivistic and individualistic events had different effects on the participants, such that participants were more confident that the individualistic events happened in their childhood than the How to write collectivistic events. This may be due to the fact that many of the individualistic events were more straightforward and The help elf probably more relevant than the more general collectivistic events. The main question that this study set to answer was if a person’s cultural background does have an effect on imagination inflation. The contradictory results on the main effect of the Pre algebra homework help participants’ cultural background on the confidence levels from the second session and the change in confidence ratings from the first to the second session, such that the former was not significant and the latter was significant, is probably due to the small sample of people from an Eastern cultural background. Nonetheless, it was expected that an interaction will be seen, so that participants would show an increase in confidence ratings for the collectivistic events when the participants who rated them were from an Eastern background. Conversely, participants coming from a Western cultural background were expected to show an increase in confidence ratings for individualistic events. This interaction would indicate that the phenomenon of imagination inflation was influenced by the cultural background of the participants, and specifically by the collectivism/individualism dimension. This could be due to the fact that a culture-specific way of encoding autobiographical information is learned since childhood (Mullen Soonhyung, 1995; Wang et al., 2000). Thus, because the elf cultural dimension is so pervasive, it was to be expected that participants would show a tendency to editing, be more confident that an event really happened after imagining it, provided that the event corresponds with the individual’s background.

Of course, multiple processes can be involved, aside from the processes already considered by the socio-cultural developmental theory (Nelson Fivush, 2004), but influenced by books info elf the latter, such as the vividness, plausibility of event and amount of detail, all which can be related back to the source monitoring framework. This shows that not only cultural processes are at work, but cognitive ones, as well. The interaction was, indeed, significant, but it showed the opposite trend from the help one expected, such that when the books elf focus of the event was individualistic, people coming from an Eastern cultural background were slightly more confident when considering their confidence levels form the second session and showed a greater change in confidence ratings form the first to the second session. Critically Includes! However, when the event was collectivistic, the people coming from an Eastern cultural background were less confident when considering their confidence levels from the books info elf second session and did not differ in the change of confidence ratings from the first to the second session. This is the opposite Harvard, of what was hypothesized, namely that participants coming from a Western background will show increased confidence levels for the individualistic events imagined than for the three collectivistic events. For the participants coming form an Eastern background, the opposite trend was expected. However, even these surprising results might actually find their answer in The help elf, the culturally specific childhood memories encouraged in term papers, a specific society. Previous research had shown the influence that culture has on autobiographical memory. Parents, and especially mothers, are the ones that in info, the first years of life provide the Critically thinking includes structure and The help books info content of discussion with the children (Han et al., 1998; Mullen Soonhyung, 1995; Nelson Fivush, 2004; Wang et al., 2000; Wang, 2004). Some mothers are more elaborate in their style, talk frequently, and give rich information with each question they put to their children, even when the latter do not answer, and consequently their children incorporate more information in Harvard, their narratives about the past and overall recall more, whereas mothers with a less elaborate style pose more redundant questions and consequently their children talk less and incorporate little information in their narratives.

Eastern cultures use personal narratives to express moral and social standards, while Western cultures use them for the entertainment value, and focus more on the emotions of the protagonist(s) (Han et al., 1998; Mullen Soonhyung, 1995; Nelson Fivush, 2004; Wang et al., 2000; Wang, 2004). This trend continues into adulthood, and is observable among people with bicultural identity (Devos, 2006; Hong et al., 2001; Nelson Fivush, 2004; Wang, 2000, 2008). This suggests that people coming from an Eastern cultural background tend to have few, more general memories, whereas people coming form a Western cultural background tend to have more clear, cohesive, highly specific memories. For this reason, it may be that the people from an Eastern cultural background are especially susceptible to info, highly specific and clear childhood memories, of Poem analysis essay last which they do not have any recollections, but that they can easily incorporate in their more general memories. However, the people coming from a Western cultural background, because of their much clearer and specific memories, are not as susceptible to show imagination inflation on individualistic type of events. These individuals can recollect much more accurately if the events presented to them actually occurred or not. On the The help elf other hand, if the uc essay vacation event presented was a collectivistic one, there seems to be no difference between people coming from these two different cultural backgrounds, and when there is info, a difference, the people who actually show more confidence are the ones coming from a Western cultural background, compared to thinking in writing your, those coming from an Eastern cultural background.

This phenomenon is probably due to the fact that people coming form an Eastern cultural background are not so susceptible to The help books, these types of How to write a argumentative events, since their childhood memories are more general, and since their main focus falls on the individualistic events, of which they probably are attracted and tend to pay more attention to. Conversely, people coming from a Western cultural background might be more susceptible to show imagination inflation on such events, since their memories are highly specific and these general, collectivistic events might seem probable. Finally, it should be noted that the ratings of overall vividness were moderately high, indicating that the participants were able to create real and vivid imagery. Another surprising result was rendered by the INDCOL scale. The Help! According to this scale, people from a Western cultural background were more collectivistic, when compared to people from an Eastern cultural background. This might have occurred because of the small number of Best uc essay people from an Eastern cultural background, but also because the scale was not really appropriate (e.g., the people from an Eastern cultural background who were not English native speakers might have had problems with the double negations). Notwithstanding the interesting results of this study, some caution should be taken when considering them, due to several factors. One possibility would be that the The help info methodology was flawed, such that the items should have been more specific, or that additional personality variables should have been controlled for Companies who do, before administering the info elf LEIs. Another possibility is that the sample might have been insufficiently large or biased in last duchess, the sense that individuals that are bicultural, for example, might adapt to both sets of target items, “switching” between their two cultural identities, as need be. Many of the people coming from an Eastern cultural background had actually been born in elf, an Asian country but had lived for many years in the United States.

Also, this adaptation to both cultures is Best vacation, a documented phenomenon, since it is necessary for bicultural individuals to react in The help books info elf, this way in society, according to which community they find themselves in (Devos, 2006; Hong et al., 2001). Previous research has shown that when Asian Americans were primed with their American self before recalling important autobiographical events, they were more likely to recall personal experiences in Pre algebra, which they were the protagonists and emphasized their own perspective. Conversely, when Asian Americans were primed with their Asian self before recalling important autobiographical events, their recollections were more likely to info elf, focus on social interactions, and Best uc essay vacation persons from in-groups (Wang, 2008). Accordingly, bicultural individuals might have adapted to the events they had to imagine, and ultimately showed an increase in confidence levels for both types of events. Thus, future research should employ a larger overall sample, but also a specifically larger sample of people coming from an Eastern cultural background.

Also, considering the adaptations that bicultural individuals can employ, it might also be important to info, use a more distinct sample, comparing, for example, American individuals with Chinese individuals (who did not live in a Western country). Moreover, as regards he methodology, it may be that using predetermined events for the imagination task might not be the best approach. Thus, considering each participant’s answers on the first LEI, events that received lower confidence ratings can be chosen, and each set of events will be unique to write paper, each individual. The INDCOL scale might be another issue, because of The help its double negations. Therefore, a more culturally and linguistically sensitive scale might be needed in order to correctly assess the individualism/collectivism dimension of culture for each individual. Ambady, N. Bharucha, J. (2009). Culture and Critically the Brain.

Current Directions in Psychological Science, 18 , 342-345. Conway, M.A. The Help Info Elf! Pleydell-Pearce C.W. (2000). The construction of uc essay vacation autobiographical memories in the self-memory sytem. Psychological Review, 107 , 261-288. Desai, J. The Help Books Info Elf! (2007). Intergenerational conflict within Asian American families: The role of Critically thinking your acculturation, ethnic identity, individualism, and collectivism. Dissertation Abstracts International , 67 , 7369.

Devos, T. (2006). Implicit bicultural identity among Mexican American and Asian American college students. Books Elf! Cultural Diversity and vacation Ethnic Minority Psychology, 12 , 381-402. French, L., Sutherland, R. Garry, M. (2006). Books Info! Discussion affects memory for true and false childhood events. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 20 , 671-680. Garry, M., Manning, C.G., Loftus, E.F. Pre Algebra Homework Help! Sherman, S.J. (1996).

Imagination inflation: Imagining a childhood event inflates confidence that it occurred. Psychonomic Bulletin Review, 3 , 208-214. Garry, M., Sharman, S.J., Wade, K.A., Hunt, M.J. Smith, P.J. The Help Books Elf! (2001). Imagination inflation is Harvard editing, a fact, not an artifact: A reply to info, Pezdek and Eddy. Memory and Cognition, 29 , 719-729. Goff, L.M. Roediger, H.L. (1998). Imagination inflation for Critically thinking includes, action events: Repeated imagining leads to illusory recollections. Memory and Cognition, 26 , 20-33. Han, J.J., Leichtman, M.D.

Wang, Q. (1998). Autobiographical memory in Korean, Chinese, and American children. Developmental Psychology, 34 , 701-713. Henkel, L.A. McDonald, C. (in press). Does imagination have parallel influences on memories of the past and The help books expectations of the Companies do future? Hong, Y., Ip, G, Chiu, C, Morris, M.W. Books Info Elf! Menon, T. (2001). Cultural identity and How to a argumentative dynamic construction of the self: Collective duties and info elf individual rights in Chinese and Companies who do term papers do American cultures. Social Cognition, 19 , 251-268. Johnson, M. (1988).

Reality monitoring: An experimental Phenomenological approach. Info Elf! Journal of a argumentative paper Experimental Psychology, 117 , 390-394. Johnson, M., Hashtroudi, S. Lindsay, D.S. (1993). Source monitoring. Psychological Bulletin, 114 , 3-28. Mark, H.R. Kitayama, S. (1991).

Culture and the self: Implications for cognition, emotion, and motivation. The Help Books! Psychological review, 98, 224-253. Mazzoni, G. Memon, A. (2003). Imagination can create false autobiographical memories. Psychological Science, 14 , 186-188. McLean, K., Fournier, M. (2008).

The content and processes of autobiographical reasoning in narrative identity. Journal of Research in Personality , 42 , 527-545. Mitchell, K.J. Johnson, M.K. (2009). Best Vacation! Source Monitoring 15 years later: What have we learned from books elf, fMRI about the write a argumentative neural mechanisms of source memory?. Psychological Bulletin, 135 , 638-677.

Mullen, Mary K., and Soonhyung Y. (1995). The cultural context of talk about the past: Implications for the development of autobiographical memory. Cognitive Development, 10 , 407-419. Nelson, K. Fivush, R. (2004). The Help Info! The emergence of autobiographical memory: A social cultural developmental theory. Psychological review, 111 , 486-511. Pezdek, K., Finger, K., Hodge, D. Essay! (1997). The Help Info Elf! .Planting false memories: The role of ebent plausibility. Psychological Science, 8 , 437-441. Pezdek, K., Blandon-Gitlin, I., Gabbay, P. (2006). Imagination and memory: Does imagining implausible events lead to false autobiographical memories?.

Psychonomic Bulletin Review, 13 , 764-769. Sharman, S.J. Critically Thinking In Writing Includes! Barnier A. J. (2008). Imagining nice and books nasty events in childhood or adulthood: Recent positive events show the most imagination inflation. Acta Psychologica , 129, 228-233. Skillman, G. (2000). Intergenerational conflict within the family context: A comparative analysis of collectivism and Poem analysis essay last individualism within Vietnamese, Filipino, and Caucasian families.

Dissertation Abstracts International, 60 , 4910. Sporer, S.L. Sharman, S.J. Books Info Elf! (2006). Should I believe this? Reality monitoring of accounts of Best vacation self-experienced and invented recent and distant autobiographical events. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 20 , 837- 854. Strange, D., Garry, M. Sutherland, R. (2003). Drawing out The help books elf children’s false memories. Applied Cognitive Psychology , 17 , 607-619. Triandis, H. How To Write Paper! (1993). Collectivism and individualism as cultural syndromes.

Cross-Cultural Research: The Journal of Comparative Social Science , 27 , 155-180. Wang, Q., Leichtman, M.D. The Help Books Info Elf! Davies, K.I. Poem Essay! (2000). Sharing memories and telling stories: American and Chinese mothers and books their 3-year-olds. Pre Algebra Help! Memory, 8 , 159-177. Wang, Q. (2001). Culture effects on adult’s earliest childhood recollection and self-description: Implications for the relation between memory and The help info self. Journal of Personality and help Social Psychology, 81 , 220-233.

Wang, Q. (2004). The emergence of cultural self-constructs: Autobiographical memory and self- description in European American and Chinese children. Developmental Psychology, 40 , 3-15. Wang, Q. (2008). Being American, being Asian: The bicultural self and autobiographical memory in Asian Americans. Cognition , 107 , 743-751. Table 1. Targeted Individualistic Events. Overall Standard Deviation. Mean for Western cultural background people.

Standard deviation for Western cultural background people. Mean for Eastern cultural background people. Standard deviation for Eastern cultural background people. 1. I saw an The help info animal give birth at a farm. 2. How To A Argumentative Paper! I rode in a limousine. 3. I petted an ostrich at the zoo. 4. I saw a total solar eclipse. 5. I broke a window with my hand. 6. I had a sip of alcohol. Table 2. Targeted Collectivistic Events. Overall Standard Deviation.

Mean for Western cultural background people. Standard deviation for Western cultural background people. Mean for Eastern cultural background people. Standard deviation for Eastern cultural background people. 1. At a family holiday, while the grownups were cooking, a towel caught on books info fire in analysis last duchess, the kitchen. 2. My sibling or my cousin got in books info elf, trouble for calling 911. 3. My mother cried when a valuable object (to her) was broken or lost. 4. We had a wedding in our family, held on Pre algebra homework an island. 5. The Help Books Info Elf! My best friend went on a hot air balloon ride with his or her family. 6. My friends and I built a tree house or a club house.

Table 3. Additional Events in LEI 1. I had my picture taken for a newspaper. My family, friends and I drove across country. I cried the first time I went to Poem analysis last duchess, the dentist (FILLER) I found a $50 bill in a parking lot. A team I played on won a big game (FILLER) My parents were involved in a car accident. My sibling or cousin had to info elf, go to the emergency room at night. A horse threw me off its back.

My grandparents used to Companies papers do, help me with my homework. I cheated on info a test at school. I got lost from my parents in the mall. On a school break, my family and Companies term I stayed at books elf a cabin in the mountains. I rescued a bird that had been injured. I won a stuffed animal at a carnival.

My best friend had to move away with his or her family. I snuck out of the house at night by Harvard essay editing jumping through the window. I found my parents' lost car keys. One of my grandparents got sick and had to stay in the hospital more than a month. The principal personally congratulated me for my good grades. My classmates and I created a notebook with dry leaves and flowers. I had a nighmare and woke up screaming. I attended a relative's high school or college graduation. My mother got upset once when I refused to wash the dishes. I helped a friend train for a sport contest. Table 4. Additional Events in LEI 2.

I caught a starfish on a vacation by The help books info the seashore. My best friend fell into a pond and was rescued by my father. On one of Poem analysis essay last my birthdays, I had a Disney party. I got stung by info elf a bee. My best friend and I listened to our favorite's singer new CD in my room.

I won a gold medal or first prize in a competition. A friend from my neighborhood got in thinking in writing includes your, trouble for throwing a ball in another neighbor's yard. I used to be afraid of spiders. I got sick and vomited at school. My parents threw a party in the summer at the beach. I lost a friend or relative tragically. I sang a solo in a concert. A relative fell through thin ice while ice-skating on a lake. My family and I went to a trip in Europe.

I watched the stars through a telescope. My parents were scared when they saw me climbing on the roof. I skipped class to play soccer or baseball with my friends. I climbed to the top of a tree. I injured my finger with a stapler. My father missed his flight and could not be home on a family holiday. My mother planted a vegetable garden in our backyard one summer. I played the leading role in a play at books school.

My best friend got chicken pox and missed a school trip. A team I played on uc essay won a big gam. Instructions: Please indicate what number most closely agrees with your opinion for each statement using the scale given below. 1. I would enjoy being elected to an influential political position. 2. I would not enjoy developing the The help books info elf regulations governing things like governmental or educational institutions. 3. I would not enjoy supervising other people. Ambady, N. Bharucha, J. Best! (2009). Culture and books info the Brain.

Current Directions in Psychological Science, 18 , 342-345. Conway, M.A. Pleydell-Pearce C.W. Best Uc Essay Vacation! (2000). The construction of autobiographical memories in the self-memory sytem. Psychological Review, 107 , 261-288.

Desai, J. (2007). Intergenerational conflict within Asian American families: The role of acculturation, ethnic identity, individualism, and collectivism. Dissertation Abstracts International , 67 , 7369. Devos, T. (2006). The Help Elf! Implicit bicultural identity among Mexican American and Asian American college students. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 12 , 381-402. French, L., Sutherland, R. Who Do Papers! Garry, M. (2006).

Discussion affects memory for true and The help books info false childhood events. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 20 , 671-680. Garry, M., Manning, C.G., Loftus, E.F. A Argumentative! Sherman, S.J. (1996). Imagination inflation: Imagining a childhood event inflates confidence that it occurred. Psychonomic Bulletin Review, 3 , 208-214.

Garry, M., Sharman, S.J., Wade, K.A., Hunt, M.J. Smith, P.J. (2001). Imagination inflation is a fact, not an artifact: A reply to The help books info, Pezdek and Eddy. Memory and Cognition, 29 , 719-729. Goff, L.M. Roediger, H.L. (1998). Critically Thinking! Imagination inflation for action events: Repeated imagining leads to illusory recollections. Books Elf! Memory and Cognition, 26 , 20-33. Han, J.J., Leichtman, M.D. Wang, Q. (1998). Autobiographical memory in Korean, Chinese, and American children.

Developmental Psychology, 34 , 701-713. Henkel, L.A. McDonald, C. (in press). Vacation! Does imagination have parallel influences on memories of the past and expectations of the elf future? Hong, Y., Ip, G, Chiu, C, Morris, M.W. Menon, T. (2001). Cultural identity and who do dynamic construction of the self: Collective duties and individual rights in Chinese and The help elf American cultures. Social Cognition, 19 , 251-268. Johnson, M. (1988). Reality monitoring: An experimental Phenomenological approach.

Journal of Experimental Psychology, 117 , 390-394. Johnson, M., Hashtroudi, S. Lindsay, D.S. (1993). Source monitoring. Psychological Bulletin, 114 , 3-28. Mark, H.R. Kitayama, S. Companies Who Do Papers Do! (1991).

Culture and the self: Implications for cognition, emotion, and motivation. Psychological review, 98, 224-253. Mazzoni, G. Memon, A. (2003). Imagination can create false autobiographical memories. Psychological Science, 14 , 186-188. McLean, K., Fournier, M. (2008). The content and processes of autobiographical reasoning in narrative identity. Journal of Research in Personality , 42 , 527-545. Mitchell, K.J.

Johnson, M.K. (2009). Source Monitoring 15 years later: What have we learned from fMRI about the neural mechanisms of source memory?. Psychological Bulletin, 135 , 638-677. Mullen, Mary K., and Soonhyung Y. (1995). The cultural context of The help books talk about the past: Implications for the development of autobiographical memory. Cognitive Development, 10 , 407-419. Nelson, K. Write Paper! Fivush, R. The Help Books Info! (2004). Critically Includes Your! The emergence of autobiographical memory: A social cultural developmental theory. Psychological review, 111 , 486-511.

Pezdek, K., Finger, K., Hodge, D. (1997). .Planting false memories: The role of ebent plausibility. The Help Info! Psychological Science, 8 , 437-441. Pezdek, K., Blandon-Gitlin, I., Gabbay, P. (2006). Critically In Writing Includes! Imagination and memory: Does imagining implausible events lead to false autobiographical memories?. Psychonomic Bulletin Review, 13 , 764-769.

Sharman, S.J. Books Info! Barnier A. J. Who Do! (2008). Imagining nice and nasty events in childhood or adulthood: Recent positive events show the most imagination inflation. The Help Elf! Acta Psychologica , 129, 228-233. Skillman, G. (2000). Intergenerational conflict within the last duchess family context: A comparative analysis of collectivism and individualism within Vietnamese, Filipino, and Caucasian families. Dissertation Abstracts International, 60 , 4910. Sporer, S.L.

Sharman, S.J. (2006). Should I believe this? Reality monitoring of The help books elf accounts of self-experienced and invented recent and distant autobiographical events. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 20 , 837- 854. Strange, D., Garry, M. Sutherland, R. (2003). Drawing out children’s false memories. Applied Cognitive Psychology , 17 , 607-619. Triandis, H. (1993). Collectivism and individualism as cultural syndromes. Cross-Cultural Research: The Journal of Comparative Social Science , 27 , 155-180.

Wang, Q., Leichtman, M.D. Davies, K.I. (2000). Sharing memories and telling stories: American and Chinese mothers and their 3-year-olds. Memory, 8 , 159-177. Wang, Q. Companies Who Do Term Papers Do! (2001). Culture effects on adult’s earliest childhood recollection and elf self-description: Implications for the relation between memory and self. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81 , 220-233.

Wang, Q. (2004). Best! The emergence of cultural self-constructs: Autobiographical memory and self- description in European American and Chinese children. Developmental Psychology, 40 , 3-15. Wang, Q. (2008). Books! Being American, being Asian: The bicultural self and autobiographical memory in Asian Americans. Cognition , 107 , 743-751. Table 1. Targeted Individualistic Events. Overall Standard Deviation. Mean for Western cultural background people.

Standard deviation for Western cultural background people. Mean for Eastern cultural background people. Standard deviation for Eastern cultural background people. 1. I saw an animal give birth at a farm. 2. I rode in vacation, a limousine.

3. I petted an ostrich at the zoo. 4. I saw a total solar eclipse. 5. I broke a window with my hand. 6. I had a sip of alcohol. Table 2. Targeted Collectivistic Events. Overall Standard Deviation. Mean for Western cultural background people. Standard deviation for The help books, Western cultural background people. Mean for Eastern cultural background people. Standard deviation for Critically thinking in writing includes your, Eastern cultural background people.

1. At a family holiday, while the info elf grownups were cooking, a towel caught on fire in the kitchen. 2. Harvard Essay Editing! My sibling or my cousin got in trouble for calling 911. 3. My mother cried when a valuable object (to her) was broken or lost. 4. Books! We had a wedding in our family, held on homework help an island. 5. My best friend went on a hot air balloon ride with his or her family. 6. My friends and The help info I built a tree house or a club house. Table 3. Additional Events in LEI 1. I had my picture taken for Harvard essay editing, a newspaper. My family, friends and I drove across country. I cried the first time I went to the dentist (FILLER)

I found a $50 bill in a parking lot. A team I played on won a big game (FILLER) My parents were involved in a car accident. My sibling or cousin had to The help info, go to the emergency room at night. A horse threw me off its back. My grandparents used to help me with my homework. I cheated on a test at school. I got lost from Harvard essay editing, my parents in the mall. On a school break, my family and I stayed at a cabin in the mountains. I rescued a bird that had been injured. I won a stuffed animal at The help books info a carnival.

My best friend had to move away with his or her family. I snuck out of the Pre algebra homework help house at books info elf night by jumping through the window. I found my parents' lost car keys. One of my grandparents got sick and had to stay in the hospital more than a month. The principal personally congratulated me for my good grades.

My classmates and I created a notebook with dry leaves and flowers. I had a nighmare and Critically in writing your woke up screaming. I attended a relative's high school or college graduation. My mother got upset once when I refused to books info, wash the dishes. I helped a friend train for a sport contest. Table 4. Additional Events in LEI 2. I caught a starfish on write a argumentative a vacation by The help books info elf the seashore. My best friend fell into a pond and was rescued by my father.

On one of my birthdays, I had a Disney party. I got stung by a bee. My best friend and write paper I listened to our favorite's singer new CD in my room. I won a gold medal or first prize in a competition. A friend from my neighborhood got in trouble for throwing a ball in another neighbor's yard. I used to be afraid of spiders.

I got sick and vomited at school. My parents threw a party in the summer at the beach. I lost a friend or relative tragically. I sang a solo in elf, a concert. A relative fell through thin ice while ice-skating on a lake. My family and editing I went to books elf, a trip in Europe. I watched the How to a argumentative paper stars through a telescope. My parents were scared when they saw me climbing on info elf the roof. I skipped class to play soccer or baseball with my friends.

I climbed to the top of a tree. I injured my finger with a stapler. My father missed his flight and could not be home on a family holiday. My mother planted a vegetable garden in our backyard one summer. I played the leading role in a play at school. My best friend got chicken pox and missed a school trip.

A team I played on How to paper won a big gam. Instructions: Please indicate what number most closely agrees with your opinion for each statement using the The help books scale given below. 1. Critically In Writing! I would enjoy being elected to an influential political position. 2. I would not enjoy developing the books info regulations governing things like governmental or educational institutions. 3. I would not enjoy supervising other people.

Basu-Zharku, I. O. (2011). Effects of Collectivistic and Best vacation Individualistic Cultures on Imagination Inflation in Eastern and Western Cultures. Inquiries Journal/Student Pulse , 3 (02). Retrieved from http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=385. Basu-Zharku, Iulia O. Effects of The help info Collectivistic and Individualistic Cultures on Imagination Inflation in Harvard, Eastern and elf Western Cultures. Inquiries Journal/Student Pulse 3.02 (2011). http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=385 Basu-Zharku, Iulia O. 2011.

Effects of Collectivistic and Individualistic Cultures on Imagination Inflation in Eastern and Poem essay last duchess Western Cultures. The Help Books Info! Inquiries Journal/Student Pulse 3 (02), http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=385. BASU-ZHARKU, I. O. 2011. Companies Who Do Term Do! Effects of Collectivistic and Individualistic Cultures on Imagination Inflation in info elf, Eastern and Western Cultures. Inquiries Journal/Student Pulse [Online], 3. Available: http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=385. Memories and Fear: Treatment Techniques to Dissociate Traumatic Memories. Memory Replacement, Confabulation, and Repression: Remembering Creatively.

Bilingual Episodic Memory and Eye-Witness Testimony. 2017 Student Pulse . All rights reserved. ISSN: 2153-5760. Disclaimer: content on this website is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical or other professional advice.

Moreover, the views expressed here do not necessarily represent the views of Student Pulse, its owners, staff, contributors, or affiliates.

Write my essay -
Elf Help Books - Catholic Supply

Jan 28, 2018 The help books info elf, pay for exclusive essay -

Guide to the Classics: Michel de Montaigne’s Essay. Montaigne: his free-ranging essays were almost scandalous in their day. Etienne Dumonstier/Wikimedia Commons. When Michel de Montaigne retired to his family estate in 1572, aged 38, he tells us that he wanted to write his famous Essays as a distraction for his idle mind. He neither wanted nor expected people beyond his circle of The help books info elf, friends to be too interested. His Essays’ preface almost warns us off: Reader, you have here an honest book; … in writing it, I have proposed to myself no other than a domestic and private end. I have had no consideration at all either to your service or to my glory … Thus, reader, I myself am the matter of my book: there’s no reason that you should employ your leisure upon so frivolous and vain a subject. Therefore farewell. The ensuing, free-ranging essays, although steeped in classical poetry, history and philosophy, are unquestionably something new in Companies who do do the history of info, Western thought.

They were almost scandalous for their day. No one before Montaigne in the Western canon had thought to devote pages to uc essay subjects as diverse and seemingly insignificant as “Of Smells”, “Of the Custom of Wearing Clothes”, “Of Posting” (letters, that is), “Of Thumbs” or “Of Sleep” — let alone reflections on the unruliness of the elf, male appendage, a subject which repeatedly concerned him. French philosopher Jacques Ranciere has recently argued that modernism began with the opening up of the mundane, private and ordinary to artistic treatment. Modern art no longer restricts its subject matters to Critically your classical myths, biblical tales, the battles and The help, dealings of Princes and prelates. French philosopher, Jacques Ranciere. Annette Bozorgan/Wikimedia Commons. If Ranciere is right, it could be said that Montaigne’s 107 Essays, each between several hundred words and (in one case) several hundred pages, came close to inventing modernism in the late 16th century. Montaigne frequently apologizes for Companies term papers, writing so much about himself.

He is only a second rate politician and one-time Mayor of Bourdeaux, after all. With an almost Socratic irony, he tells us most about his own habits of writing in the essays titled “Of Presumption”, “Of Giving the Lie”, “Of Vanity”, and “Of Repentance”. But the message of this latter essay is, quite simply, that non, je ne regrette rien , as a more recent French icon sang: Were I to live my life over again, I should live it just as I have lived it; I neither complain of the The help, past, nor do I fear the future; and if I am not much deceived, I am the same within that I am without…I have seen the grass, the blossom, and the fruit, and now see the withering; happily, however, because naturally. Montaigne’s persistence in assembling his extraordinary dossier of stories, arguments, asides and Companies term do, observations on nearly everything under the sun (from how to parley with an info enemy to Harvard editing whether women should be so demure in info matters of sex, has been celebrated by admirers in nearly every generation. Within a decade of Poem essay, his death, his Essays had left their mark on Bacon and Shakespeare. He was a hero to The help info elf the enlighteners Montesquieu and uc essay, Diderot. Voltaire celebrated Montaigne – a man educated only by his own reading, his father and his childhood tutors – as “the least methodical of The help books elf, all philosophers, but the wisest and most amiable”.

Nietzsche claimed that the very existence of who do papers, Montaigne’s Essays added to the joy of living in this world. More recently, Sarah Bakewell’s charming engagement with Montaigne, How to Live or a Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer (2010) made the best-sellers’ lists. Even today’s initiatives in The help teaching philosophy in schools can look back to Montaigne (and his “On the Critically thinking includes, Education of Children”) as a patron saint or sage . So what are these Essays, which Montaigne protested were indistinguishable from their author? (“My book and I go hand in hand together”). It’s a good question. Anyone who tries to read the Essays systematically soon finds themselves overwhelmed by the sheer wealth of examples, anecdotes, digressions and curios Montaigne assembles for our delectation, often without more than the hint of a reason why. To open the book is to venture into a world in which fortune consistently defies expectations; our senses are as uncertain as our understanding is prone to The help error; opposites turn out very often to be conjoined (“the most universal quality is Pre algebra homework help, diversity”); even vice can lead to The help info elf virtue.

Many titles seem to have no direct relation to their contents. Nearly everything our author says in one place is qualified, if not overturned, elsewhere. Without pretending to untangle all of the knots of this “book with a wild and desultory plan”, let me tug here on a couple of Harvard, Montaigne’s threads to invite and assist new readers to find their own way. Philosophy (and writing) as a way of life. Some scholars argued that Montaigne began writing his essays as a want-to-be Stoic, hardening himself against the horrors of the French civil and religious wars, and his grief at the loss of his best friend Etienne de La Boetie through dysentery. Did Montaigne turn to info the Stoic school of philosophy to deal with the horrors of war? Edouard Debat-Ponsan/Wikimedia Commons.

Certainly, for essay duchess, Montaigne, as for ancient thinkers led by his favorites, Plutarch and the Roman Stoic Seneca, philosophy was not solely about constructing theoretical systems, writing books and articles. It was what one more recent admirer of Montaigne has called “a way of life”. Montaigne has little time for forms of pedantry that value learning as a means to The help books elf insulate scholars from the Companies who do papers, world, rather than opening out onto it. He writes: Either our reason mocks us or it ought to have no other aim but our contentment. We are great fools. ‘He has passed over his life in idleness,’ we say: ‘I have done nothing today.’ What? have you not lived? that is not only the fundamental, but the most illustrious of The help elf, all your occupations. One feature of the Essays is, accordingly, Montaigne’s fascination with the write paper, daily doings of books elf, men like Socrates and Cato the Younger; two of those figures revered amongst the ancients as wise men or “sages”.

Their wisdom, he suggests, was chiefly evident in the lives they led (neither wrote a thing). In particular, it was proven by the nobility each showed in thinking in writing facing their deaths. Socrates consented serenely to taking hemlock, having been sentenced unjustly to The help info death by write a argumentative paper, the Athenians. Cato stabbed himself to death after having meditated upon Socrates’ example, in order not to cede to Julius Caesar’s coup d’etat . To achieve such “philosophic” constancy, Montaigne saw, requires a good deal more than book learning. Indeed, everything about our passions and, above all, our imagination, speaks against The help achieving that perfect tranquillity the classical thinkers saw as the thinking includes, highest philosophical goal. We discharge our hopes and fears, very often, on The help elf the wrong objects, Montaigne notes, in an observation that anticipates the thinking of Freud and modern psychology. Always, these emotions dwell on Poem analysis duchess things we cannot presently change. Sometimes, they inhibit our ability to see and deal in a supple way with the changing demands of The help info, life. Philosophy, in this classical view, involves a retraining of Companies who do term papers do, our ways of thinking, seeing and being in the world.

Montaigne’s earlier essay “To philosophise is to learn how to die” is perhaps the clearest exemplar of his indebtedness to this ancient idea of philosophy. Yet there is a strong sense in which all of the Essays are a form of books elf, what one 20th century author has dubbed “self-writing”: an ethical exercise to “strengthen and homework help, enlighten” Montaigne’s own judgement, as much as that of we readers: And though nobody should read me, have I wasted time in entertaining myself so many idle hours in The help books info elf so pleasing and useful thoughts? … I have no more made my book than my book has made me: it is a book consubstantial with the author, of uc essay vacation, a peculiar design, a parcel of The help books info elf, my life… As for who do term do, the seeming disorder of the product, and Montaigne’s frequent claims that he is playing the The help books elf, fool, this is arguably one more feature of the Essays that reflects his Socratic irony. Companies Term Papers? Montaigne wants to info leave us with some work to Poem do and scope to The help elf find our own paths through the labyrinth of his thoughts, or alternatively, to bobble about on their diverting surfaces. Yet Montaigne’s Essays, for all of their classicism and their idiosyncrasies, are rightly numbered as one of the Companies who do term papers, founding texts of modern thought. Their author keeps his own prerogatives, even as he bows deferentially before the altars of ancient heroes like Socrates, Cato, Alexander the Great or the Theban general Epaminondas. There is a good deal of the Christian, Augustinian legacy in Montaigne’s makeup. And of The help books, all the philosophers, he most frequently echoes ancient sceptics like Pyrrho or Carneades who argued that we can know almost nothing with certainty. This is especially true concerning the “ultimate questions” the Catholics and Huguenots of Montaigne’s day were bloodily contesting. Michel de Montaigne.

Wikimedia Commons. Writing in a time of cruel sectarian violence, Montaigne is unconvinced by Poem analysis last, the ageless claim that having a dogmatic faith is The help books info elf, necessary or especially effective in essay assisting people to love their neighbors: Between ourselves, I have ever observed supercelestial opinions and info elf, subterranean manners to be of singular accord… This scepticism applies as much to the pagan ideal of a perfected philosophical sage as it does to theological speculations. Socrates’ constancy before death, Montaigne concludes, was simply too demanding for most people, almost superhuman. As for Cato’s proud suicide, Montaigne takes liberty to doubt whether it was as much the product of Stoic tranquility, as of a singular turn of mind that could take pleasure in such extreme virtue.

Indeed when it comes to his essays “Of Moderation” or “Of Virtue”, Montaigne quietly breaks the Poem last duchess, ancient mold. Instead of celebrating the feats of the books, world’s Catos or Alexanders, here he lists example after example of people moved by editing, their sense of The help books info, transcendent self-righteousness to acts of murderous or suicidal excess. Even virtue can become vicious, these essays imply, unless we know how to moderate our own presumptions. If there is one form of argument Montaigne uses most often, it is the sceptical argument drawing on the disagreement amongst even the wisest authorities. If human beings could know if, say, the soul was immortal, with or without the analysis last, body, or dissolved when we die…then the wisest people would all have come to the same conclusions by now, the books info, argument goes. Yet even the homework help, “most knowing” authorities disagree about such things, Montaigne delights in showing us. The existence of such “an infinite confusion” of opinions and customs ceases to be the problem, for Montaigne.

It points the way to a new kind of solution, and could in fact enlighten us. Documenting such manifold differences between customs and opinions is, for him, an education in The help books elf humility: Manners and opinions contrary to mine do not so much displease as instruct me; nor so much make me proud as they humble me. His essay “Of Cannibals” for instance, presents all of the different aspects of How to a argumentative paper, American Indian culture, as known to Montaigne through travellers’ reports then filtering back into The help books Europe. For the Pre algebra homework help, most part, he finds these “savages’” society ethically equal, if not far superior, to that of war-torn France’s — a perspective that Voltaire and info, Rousseau would echo nearly 200 years later. We are horrified at the prospect of eating our ancestors.

Yet Montaigne imagines that from the Indians’ perspective, Western practices of cremating our deceased, or burying their bodies to be devoured by the worms must seem every bit as callous. And while we are at it, Montaigne adds that consuming people after they are dead seems a good deal less cruel and inhumane than torturing folk we don’t even know are guilty of any crime whilst they are still alive… Voltaire celebrated Montaigne as one of the wisest and most amiable philosophers. Nicolas de Largillierre/Wikimedia Commons. “So what is left then?”, the reader might ask, as Montaigne undermines one presumption after another, and piles up exceptions like they had become the only rule. A very great deal , is the answer. Harvard Essay? With metaphysics, theology, and the feats of godlike sages all under a “suspension of judgment”, we become witnesses as we read the The help books info elf, Essays to a key document in Pre algebra homework the modern revaluation and valorization of everyday life. There is, for instance, Montaigne’s scandalously demotic habit of interlacing words, stories and The help books info, actions from his neighbors, the Best vacation, local peasants (and peasant women) with examples from the greats of Christian and pagan history.

As he writes: I have known in my time a hundred artisans, a hundred laborers, wiser and The help books info elf, more happy than the rectors of the university, and whom I had much rather have resembled. By the end of the Essays, Montaigne has begun openly to suggest that, if tranquillity, constancy, bravery, and honor are the goals the wise hold up for us, they can all be seen in much greater abundance amongst the salt of the earth than amongst the Best uc essay, rich and famous: I propose a life ordinary and without lustre: ‘tis all one…To enter a breach, conduct an The help elf embassy, govern a people, are actions of Harvard essay editing, renown; to…laugh, sell, pay, love, hate, and gently and justly converse with our own families and with ourselves…not to books info give our selves the lie, that is rarer, more difficult and Critically thinking, less remarkable… And so we arrive with these last Essays at The help books info elf, a sentiment better known today from another philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche, the How to, author of A Gay Science (1882) . Montaigne’s closing essays repeat the The help books, avowal that: “I love a gay and civil wisdom…” But in help contrast to his later Germanic admirer, the music here is less Wagner or Beethoven than it is Mozart (as it were), and Montaigne’s spirit much less agonized than gently serene. It was Voltaire, again, who said that life is a tragedy for The help books elf, those who feel, and a comedy for essay, those who think. The Help Books? Montaigne adopts and admires the comic perspective. As he writes in “Of Experience”: It is not of much use to go upon stilts, for, when upon stilts, we must still walk with our legs; and when seated upon the most elevated throne in the world, we are still perched on our own bums. Matthew Sharpe is an Associate Professor in Philosophy at Deakin University.

This article was originally published on The Conversation. Read the original article. The Strange Question Chris Sacca Used to Build the Greatest Angel Portfolio Ever. Why the US Doesn’t Understand Chinese Thought—and Must. The Two-Hour Rule: The Genius of Einstein, Darwin and Nietzsche Applied. We noticed you're using an ad blocker. We get it: you like to homework have control of your own internet experience. But advertising revenue helps support our journalism. We'd really appreciate it. Below are steps you can take in order to whitelist Observer.com on your browser: Click the AdBlock button on your browser and select Don't run on pages on this domain . For Adblock Plus on The help books elf Google Chrome:

Click the AdBlock Plus button on your browser and Critically thinking your, select Enabled on this site.

inserted by FC2 system